Male / Female ID....Hope I did this right ???

Discussion in 'Growing Information' started by Buds Buddy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Not a worry.
    Dirt cloning works.
    It's the only way to root hardwood cuts.

In Hawaii, we can just chop off a branch and stick it in the ground.
    I do that with flowers, trees, herbs, etc. all year round.
    I cut a 6" branch from a pink Hibiscus and poked it into the dirt.
    HPIM0364.JPG That Hibiscus bush is now 30' high and 8' wide.

It is said that you could plant a pencil in a pot and grow a pine tree here.
    Have not tried that.
    Yet.

2. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Nice grow. You'd never do that in AZ. You pretty much need a jack hammer to dig 6" deep. A lot softer about 18" down but still full of sand so not good for growing. About 100 days a year of 110 - 120 degrees has turned the top soil to almost rock.
    Well, I hope my cuttings work out. The ones I transplanted look a little weak but maybe due to transplant.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Got friends that grew in Az. They say the biggest hassle is the damn dust. Clogs up the buds.
    Just count your blessing for the soil. We no got. This island is volcanic and young.
    We have no soil here.
    But we do have jungles growing in what looks and feels like solid lava rock. To grow outdoors, you do need a jackhammer, and misery bar, to dig pits and fill them with purchased soil.
    I use containers in the greenhouse so my biggest expense is the FFOF I fill them with.
    If you do a transplant right, there is no shock. But transplanting rooted cuts to soil will show some degree of wilt depending on the root length.
    Cut the light back to give those roots some time to grow before you try to move more water than they can supply.

4. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Another lesson learned. I thought Hawaii would have nice rich soil being surrounded by water & fish. Thought it would only be the way you described near the volcano's themselves.
    Not so sure the cuttings are going to make it. They looked pretty wilted to me last night. Not only the transplanted ones but the ones still in water also. I'm going to try to stick 8 - 10 of the smaller plants in the 2' x 4' x 6' tent this weekend & let them Veg 2 more weeks while I Flower the rest to see what the sex is. Trying to Flower the taller plants 1st in case they're males so I can eliminate. Sure hope the cuttings work out. If not I'll flower new cuttings from the smaller plants while I flower the big plants & hopefully it will work so I can pick 1 or 2 mothers to clone from.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Sounds like a good plan.

6. raymont

raymont Registered+

AZ worst dirt on earth

7. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I'm not even sure it's dirt. More like sand that got real hard.
    Anyway, some of the cuttings are showing sex. I believe 5 are showing male balls & 1 is showing what appears to be white hairs coming out the top. Still waiting on the other 12 cuttings to show something. The 5 plants that match the cuttings are going to the trash in the morning.

8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Don't be too hasty.
    Early signs can fool you. Male pollen takes a while to mature and drop, so it won't hurt to give it a couple more days.

9. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Would it be too hasty if there were 5 - 6 little balls in a group (kind of shaped like seeds) ? That's what I seen. Those 5 turned into 7 & I already trashed them. Now I have 8 that I believe are females ( crossed calyx, no balls & looks like white hairs are starting to come out). Also 2 more I think are males as I see signs of balls on them. I still have 7 more to check. Never took a cutting from them yet as they were smaller & I didn't think they were ready. But they are now so I'll take cuttings from them this weekend.
    I don't feel too bad about the count so far (9-males / 8-females) 7 - unknown still. On the bright side I have a lot more room in my tent now as I put up my 3rd tent & put 6 plants in it & there's 11 in the big tent. Big difference then 24 plants in 1 tent. Room to grow & to get the needed light & air.
    Anyways, I was watching the news & I see you got nearby hurricanes. Hope you're not in it's path. You catching anything from it ?

10. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I live leeward side Big Island.
    No worries, just some light rain and no wind here yet.