Mars COB-First try

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by hydrogarden, Jan 31, 2018.

1. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Just received the Mars COB, i've impressed with the quality that they've put into them
    %FW{Y$W4QE_JT(VUH8@EM7S.png
    This is the warranty card
    H~9PF{YU`G@8[L_DO$D028D.png
    Hanging the COB, looking forward to see the plants reactive
    @UCOI@AY%FPRZER[T_NMXDJ.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Got everything back up and running perfectly, without ventilation the tent with the single Mars cob light sat at 24.1C ( 23C room temp ) with the door partially open. Which was pretty good for the small 2x3 tent and shows great potential for micro grows.

The girls are taking really well to the light and have no stretch at 20 inches.
    upload_2018-2-5_18-0-55.png

upload_2018-2-5_18-1-14.png

upload_2018-2-5_18-0-33.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

There isn't much to update this early on, the girls are nice and healthy and setting up some deep roots in their 7 gallon pots. They're 9 days old today

As for the performance of the light. The one thing you won't get is a heat issue. With a small exhaust fan It's not much warmer than the room.
    I can see this Mars cob making excellent micro grow light with the very powerful cob and the heatsink that works to keep it cool as a cucumber.
    upload_2018-2-9_16-56-16.png

upload_2018-2-9_16-57-16.png

4. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

What's a COB?

5. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

mars hydro cob

6. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I went to the Mars Hydro website. I still couldn't figure out what COB meant.

7. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

COB refers to 'chips on board', multiple tiny diodes mounted in a single module, then fitted with a lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Oh, I had chat with their rep on ins, she said they use Cree cxb 3590, and added other Osram chips.

9. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Hey folks a quick update!
    Were at the point where they start growing quickly it seems! And boy have they grown quite a bit in the last day, today they’ve been watered with plain water, the tempurature is to be stable with the room with a 4 inch exhaust fan running at the lowest speed.

A bit of droop because they were just fed.
    upload_2018-2-11_15-13-51.png
    upload_2018-2-11_15-16-41.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

So far I'm so pleased with the Mars COB, will keep update and see the performance. You can have a try.

11. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Boy oh boy! My wife and i had thrips in one of our grows so we've been taking care of that as it seems they've made their way to the babies as well. I guess country living does have more pests.

Oh well, grabbed some Safer insecticidal soap and gave all my girls a good spray. Even the ones in flower. The two girls even with the slight bug damage are still growing at a fast pace! All the tops are coming in and now we just let her stretch!
    They will be recieving their first feed tomorrow, and hopefully take to it well.

( shine is from the soap )
    upload_2018-2-24_15-48-50.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Thank you! I already topped them both. and the new tops coming nicely. I plan on getting these girls massive for my flowering phase :doublethumbs::doublethumbs:

13. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Hello everyone! How are the gardens going? Mines finally under control! All the thrips are gone and the plants are thriving, i have a big harvest coming up in a few hours but decided to show the babies progress, still havnt introduced full or close to full nutrients and will be doing so very soon, they are doing a lot better since the small attack and the topping.
    upload_2018-3-5_17-49-47.png

upload_2018-3-5_17-50-17.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Now I keep the COB 16 inches over the plants, they looks good, since the cob won't generate much heat. Later will lower the light to see.

15. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

I contact Mars rep on Instagram, and they gave me discount code, you can ask them, they are very nice and have great service

16. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Great, hope you lucky:D

17. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Hey fellow blades! So, dealing with thrips isnt as easy as i thought. I thought they were gone but it seems the next round of eggs hatched. So they got another spray of some insectisidal soap, giving her a spray undet the leaves on top, on stems and soil. So hopefully 1 more treatment on any eggs and itll be over.

As an extra measure i lollipopped my girls to get rid of lower growth and lower insect numbers.

Other than that gave her a big drink of water with 1 ml of biothrive grow, 1 ml of cal mag and some kelp.

( plant elevated for watering, i use the orange crate to catch run off in a dish in case someones wondering lol )
    upload_2018-3-12_17-48-3.png

18. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Uhh, that's a different forum. ;)

Good luck with your grow. :)

19. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Had on different forum. Thank you bro. Hope you have enjoy your grow :bananadance:

• Like Like x 1
  20. hydrogarden

hydrogarden Registered+

Hey bro, thank you for asking! Yeah, I heard that America have snow storm. plants are good, hope you are OK.