My leaves are turning purple!?!

Discussion in 'Hydroponics' started by Steelwool, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Steelwool

Steelwool Registered+

These pictures were taken a week ago. They've been flowering for 6 weeks. They are "Pot Of Gold". This week the larger, older leaves started to turn purple. The trics haven't started to turn amber yet. Should I start to flush now?

Attached Files:

2. drudown11

drudown11 Registered+

ide give it another round of ferts and then flush....but thats just me

3. jtsik330

jtsik330 Registered+

what are the temps?

4. Steelwool

Steelwool Registered+

They got pretty cold like lower 50s in the dark cycle and upper 60s lower 70s in the light but only for a couple of days over the weekend. I've cranked up the heater and it's gotten warmer outside so it's been corrected. I thought the cold caused things to go light green, at least in veg and early flower? I'll take a picture or two tonight and post em.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. sarah louise

sarah louise Registered+

The purpling is a normal response to the low o/nite temps.

Large swings between day and night temps can cause the new growth to look light green (cold bleaching).

If you have warmed things up you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

6. jtsik330

jtsik330 Registered+

I am facing cold temps such as mid to low 50's aswell when lights are out and I'm prepared for the purple leaves. Im pretty sure it doesn't have a negative affect on yield?:(

7. drudown11

drudown11 Registered+

it shouldn't hurt yield its just a sign that your temps are dipping a little at night, and personally i love it when things turn purple i think its pretty

8. jtsik330

jtsik330 Registered+

agrrrreeeddd:hippy:

9. sarah louise

sarah louise Registered+

It will depend on whether the temperature is just dipping down for a short while during the night or whether the temp dips after the lights go out and stay low for most of the night.

The second scenario will most definitely impede flowering.

10. jtsik330

jtsik330 Registered+

Does it slower the process or does it actually reduce the amount of floweR?

11. sarah louise

sarah louise Registered+

Bit of both.

12. Steelwool

Steelwool Registered+

So I've put a heater close to my intake which is helping with the temp but now I'm starting to get yellowing around the very top leaves of my colas on a couple of my girls, the ones directly under the bulb. Is this another byproduct of a big swing in temps or normal for late flowering? I'm at 7 weeks so I'm a week out from flushing. PH and PPM are fine.

Attached Files:

13. jtsik330

jtsik330 Registered+

I'm gonna blame that on late flowering. I believe the top fan leaves show symptoms of yellowing first and works its way down. Looks like you got some pretty healthy girls

14. Steelwool

Steelwool Registered+

Thanks! It's my first hydro grow and I'm blown away. Much fatter buds and easier to control/correct then dirt. I'm going to try aroponic next. My clone machine is aroponic and I'm really liking it.

15. Djones1230

Djones1230 Registered

I need some help if you can take time to talk an look at some pictures throw me a email djones1230@aim.com

16. Djones1230

Djones1230 Registered

I'm having a rare problem I never witness before if someone that's knows there stuff can email me at djones1230@aim.com that would be greatly appreciated thank you

17. tinytoon

tinytoon Registered+

That thread was about a year old, start a thread of your own and tell us whats up. Sorry I dont e-mail, I stay hidden ;)