Need advice on my outdoor plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by OGteeg, Nov 2, 2017.

1. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

So I have been growing a gorilla glue strain at my house (outside) and although I started it very late, it is growing very well.. but now that it’s getting very chilly at night, and the sun doesn’t stay out as long where I live , I’m scared that it isn’t growing or maturing much anymore. It’s about 30 days into flowering and I need some advice on what to do to help make the most of these buds... so at the end of all this, I still have something smokeable.

Attached Files:

2. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Here’s another pic of the little bud up close

Attached Files:

3. RUJU

RUJU Registered+

Hey OGteeg,
    How chilly is it getting outside? If it's under 60F outside then you should definitely bring your plant inside. Your plant looks relatively small so keep it under a couple of fluorescents (12/12 photoperiod) & you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

4. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Thanks for the reply.. yeah it does drop below 60 at night.. so I bring her into my garage... I’m glad u said something about lights because my mom has this grow light that she uses on her inside plants, I will attach image so u can see what I’m talking about and let me know if it will be sufficient. To me, the light looks kinda blueish / white to the eye so it worries me that if I used it, it would take my plant out of its flowering stage..

5. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

6. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Another thing, is that the sun only stays out at my house from about 9am -3pm currently... so if I choose to put it under light, would I still use 12/12 hr cycles? Or less?

7. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Also, can you take a look of this up close shot of my trichomes... I’m trying to figure out if they are cloudy, or clear... I don’t have much experience looking at thichomes, so plz let me know your opinion on these pics thanks in advance!

8. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

9. RUJU

RUJU Registered+

Hey OGteeg,
    I'm glad you brought your plant indoors since your outdoor temps are far too low. Your light appears to be a Cool White bulb, which has a higher blue spectrum meant for vegetative growth. You can flower with these, however, you won't get as much yield compared to a "warmer" bulbs with more red spectrum. That said, this bulb shouldn't cause any serious concerns for you as long as you don't break the dark cycles (other than less yield). If possible, I'd try to get some replacement bulbs in warm white, or better yet, an HPS/LED light would be best for flowering. Or you can just keep this in mind for your next grow.

Approximately how long has your plant been outdoors in this environment (light 9am-3pm)? I believe you could just turn it to 12/12 photoperiod & I know several people that use other photoperiods such as 11/13, 10/14, 9/15 during their finals weeks of flowering. I'd suggest starting at 12/12 & if you want you could make your way down to 10/14 though it's not necessary. Just remember not to interrupt the dark cycles.

My main concern is that depending on how long your plant's been outdoors in this environment it may hermie. This is due to the combination of low temperatures & only 6 hours of light that could cause the plant to go into survival mode since it's not done flowering & has not been pollinated.

I hope this helps, but I would also reach out to Weezard here for his advice on this matter. He's usually online & has a ton of experience growing so you'll be in great hands. Happy growing!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Grass city wants me to sign up to see your pictures.
    Dis body ain't got time fo' dat. :D
    No worries, you are in good hands with RUJU.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Thanks for the info.. but can u explain to me what hermie means? Will it still be smokable? Cause you are right, it did flower prematurely because of the climate and sun here... but what does that mean going forward? It’s so close to being done (20 more days) that I just want it to finish up... I’m buying a LED grow light from Home Depot on friday.. so I still kinda need instructions on how to make the transition from this minimal sun, to indoor light...

12. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Oh and in response to your last question, it’s been growing outdoors in that condition since it was a seed just starting to sprout at the end of July..... the sun was out for a little longer then than it is now tho...

13. RUJU

RUJU Registered+

Thank you Weezard for the vote of confidence! It means a ton coming from you since I look up your handle whenever I have any questions or just want to refresh my brain on older subjects. You're the best. :doublethumbs:

Hey OGteeg,
    Hermie is short for Hermaphrodite (aka female & male sexes in the same plant). Hermies are typically created due to female plants being overly stressed (environment, lighting, etc.), but can arise due simply to the genetics of the strain (why you should always procure quality genetics from the start). Your bud will still be smokable, however, you lose a lot of THC/etc production due to the hermie plant dividing its energy into producing buds AND SEEDS. You're going to be okay & hopefully your plant won't hermie if you get it indoors quickly with a 12/12 photoperiod. Check your plants for "ball" formations that'll indicate your plant is a hermie & if it does there's really nothing you can do about it (as far as I know). Typically we cull these plants in our grow, but since you only have 1 plant you should keep it regardless. The bud won't be nearly as good, but it'll still contain a small amount of THC/etc.

The transition from your outdoor grow to indoors shouldn't be too difficult since you only have 1 plant (depending on your environment/where you live). That said, if you browse this site (or other cannabis sites) you'll quickly find information on how to correctly grow your plants indoors. You'll want to maintain indoor temps from 65F-78F with a relative humidity of 40%-50% (for FLOWER).

14. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

Okay, so I’m going to Home Depot tomorrow to get one of those LED grow lights... I noticed how some have more red LEDs than blue and some are half and half... being as I want to finish my flowering on this one, and maybe grow another some time soon, what advice could you give me when choosing my bulb? Thanks for the help guys

15. RUJU

RUJU Registered+

Hey OGteeg,
    If you get an LED light you’ll want a minimum of 100W, but better if you can get in between 400-600w for your plant. You’ll want a full spectrum light that includes both the blue & red spectrums so you won’t run into any issues for veg or flowering phases.
    How much do you have to spend on a light? They sell some decent LED lights on amazon for ~$130 for 600w+ that you should check out. Otherwise, go with a few from Home Depot (if cheaper & will provide an adequate amount of light to your plant).

16. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

17. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

18. RUJU

RUJU Registered+

Hey OGteeg,
    Glad you found some good LEDs. I actually have the ViparSpectra 1200w & it works well for my plants. They say it’s a good beginner light & I haven’t had any issues with mine. I think either light will be fine for starting out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OGteeg

OGteeg Registered

34146413-831C-4096-85CB-EF5992D4A82E.jpeg Update on my plant!

So now I have my plant under this LED light I got from Home Depot.. I’ve been using 12/12 hr cycles and watering daily... any suggestions on from here on out? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!