Need Info on Foliar Feeding

Discussion in 'Growing Information' started by Buds Buddy, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I'm hearing Foliar Feeding is beneficial so I want to try it. Not sure how it works because I've never done it so I have a few questions.
    1) Do I just mix my nutes like I usually do for regular soil feeding & then mist with that or is there a special Foliar Feeding Nute I need to buy ? ( I currently use all General Hydroponics Nutes)
    2) At what stage / week in growth do you start Foliar Feeding & when do you stop ?
    3) Does a Table Spoon of Molasses mixed in a Gallon of water work as a Foliar Spray ?

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks !!!

2. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Found the answers to my questions through hours & hours of internet research. Finally found info using the exact same nutes I use to the "T" so I guess I'm glad I had to search for it. Seems some of my Nutes are 5% Molasses so I'm good there too.

3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Do yourself a favor and do a side by side test run.
    One half gets sprayed, one does not.
    Think about it.

Leaves have 3 major jobs.
    They turn light into energy,
    they exchange gasses,
    and they transpire water vapor.

Roots gather the water to be transpired and collect nutrients which climb with the water.
    Foliar feeding is like asking a plant to stuff food up it's ass and poop out it's mouth.
    That only works in Cartman's universe. :)

Aloha,
    Been there tried that

4. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

So you're saying you can't foliar feed through the stomata on the under side of the leaves ??? Everything I read says you can & that the plants actually uptake more of the nutrients by foliar feeding then they do by soil feeding. It also helps prevent the salt build up in the soil by foliar feeding.
    You yourself tell me to read all I can to learn. I have been doing that & I'm leaning toward Foliar Feeding with Dutch Masters Liquid Light & Penetrater along with 1/2 strength soil nutes. If not....I'll just use my Floralicious Plus on them once a week & still soil feed.
    I only give nutes once per week & would Foliar feed twice per week with 1/2 strength solution also; with regular watering in between.
    With everything at 1/2 strength I think things will be fine. If not...I'll have to make some adjustments. If I lose the plants....I'll know better next time. But you can't find what works best for you without trying. It's like the lottery..."You can't win if you don't play".

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

"But you can't find what works best for you without trying. It's like the lottery..."You can't win if you don't play".

True, but a wise man hedges his bets.

Yes, advice;
    #1 "Read all you can"
    #2 "Don't believe everything you read"
    Test what you can. :)
    Misinformation is rampant on the web.

You seem to have missed the main point.
    So lemme re-post that;

"Do yourself a favor and do a side by side test run.
    One half gets sprayed, one does not."
    Only then will you know for certain that what you read is correct."

Not saying F. F. is not possible, or that it will kill your plants.
    Just saying that it is not how plants have evolved to work.

If you use your proposed regimen on half your plants, and do not do so on the other half. You will actually know something, And have only risked half of your harvest to gain that solid knowledge. yah?

Take some time, and think about it.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  6. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

I'm not a big fan of sprayin' plants with "stuff", but that liquid light is one of the few products I've seen that produced noticeable results.

You should start the Dutch Masters weak too, even less than half strength. ;)
    If your environment isn't right, it'll do more harm than good.
    Canopy temps should be on the low side of perfect, ~75F for good results.
    If you have problems with high temps, I'd avoid using it. :twocents:

If you see Penetrator on the shelf, it's old stock. Nowadays, they call it Saturator.
    Same product with different names.