Need Opinion - How's She Looking Guys?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Pictures' started by Howell, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Howell

Howell Registered+

So guys I've had this Auto Critical since 25/05/16 and I'll like to know what you guys think. It's been flowering for about two weeks now, and there's no sign of trichomes on her yet.. She's under a 18/6 hours light cycle, I've been feeding her the usual stuff I fed my previous plants which is the Biobizz nutrients. She looks a little bit stretched to me even though I have 3 100 watt CFL (all of them having 2700K) bulbs shining under her.

Ps: i know My set-up looks pretty much like shit so if there's any improvement I can make, please let me know because I'm looking forward to buying a whole bunch of seeds anytime soon and starting something serious. This was just an "experiment" to see how things would turn out with this "grow box".

Here are some pics guys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

you are getting some issues at the top from your light/heat... probably caused by the foil. Foil is actually problematic as a reflector in a grow box, it creates hot spots. Other than that, you plant looks good, but I think you will find that a glossy white paint would work better than foil, as counterintuitive as that seems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Howell

Howell Registered+

Thanks for your response. I never thought about that.. Is that why the plant's all wrinkly? The ventilation is working fine and the temperature is dead on. I've noticed that some pistils are already turning brown and I really don't know if it's normal or if (as you said) I have a heat problem. The lights don't produce much heat, but they are a few centimetres away from the main cola, is that a problem too?

4. emilya

that's probably the main part of the problem... 4" is about right

5. Howell

Howell Registered+

Alright then, I'll be making some modifications because I never thought an auto could grow so tall

6. emilya

lack of the right kind of light and strong enough early on will do that

7. Howell

Howell Registered+

Is 3 100 W CFL not enough for One plant?

8. emilya

I have to entice my plants to grow vertically in veg, my lights are that good. I also have a lot of experience keeping my plants short, so that they can stay under the sweet spot of my T5HO Pur Par growth bulbs... in your box, you have good adequate light up there 6-8 inches from the bulbs, but much further away from that and your light's effectiveness is greatly reduced. You might want to consider moving 2 of the lights to the sides to get light to the middle of the plant... it is the inverse squared law of light that is killing you here... distance from a CFL is critical.
    so define "enough"....
    if you want to grow 2 oz per plant... nope, not enough. I doubt it is enough to grow 1 oz per plant, but you will get some yield. The total quality and quantity of what you get with 300w of cfl energy is not going to come close to what I do with 1200w of HPS/MH energy... but you don't have my power bill either. Zandor was actually the one who coined the phrase:
    If you go cheap, you grow cheap.

9. Howell

Howell Registered+

Ok thanks a lot, i'll move two CFLs to the side and see the outcome. And also is it normal that she hasn't got any trichomes on her yet?

10. emilya

yes, many strains don't start building trichomes until the 5th week of flower... again, it also depends on how much light and fresh air they are getting as to how strongly the plant grows, and correspondingly, how big, juicy and full of trichomes the buds get.

11. Howell

Howell Registered+

Ok thanks, then the main problem is the lighting then, I guess I'll upgrade it. BTW I wasn't growing cheap, I just read almost everywhere that a CFL with around 2700K is good for flowering.. So i thought I'd buy 3 of them without going overboard with the lighting, but if you say it's still not enough, then I'll definitely upgrade them. Any idea on which one I can buy? Probably something that'll serve in future grows

12. emilya

yes, you are growing cheap my friend, but i don't mean that as an insult, just a comparison. I am just growing for me and a few friends, in a 4x4 grow tent. To make this operation work I have amassed over $4000 worth of equipment.

as far as your lights go, you did good buying flowering lights, but did you also read that vegging plants like a bluer/whiter light? I mix the white and the yellow CFL bulbs when I use them, to get a better spectrum of light. Your present lights are fine... just add to them. I have a little array that I built for my love tent that has 10 of the 26w CFLs attached to PVC piping and light sockets from the hardware store. For about $20 I put together a perfectly usable 260w light array... and (here is the best part) I can mix and match the CFL bulbs to create a veg or a flowering light. I suggest you build one of these, and get your first grow under your belt in style.

13. Howell

Howell Registered+

Yeah i just changed the lights when the plant started flowering. Before I had 3 CFLs with a white light spectrum and 6000K. I thought more lights could burn the plant so I stopped at three, I'll do what you suggest and get more of these 2700K 100W CFLs. The one's I currently have put out 1600 Lumens so how many more do you think I should add?

14. emilya

as many as you can, and not have an unmanageable heat problem. Long before you get to that point, you will not have even come close to approximating the sun...

I found that with 10 cfls in my 1.5x1 love tent, I could manage the heat at the plants fairly well without additional ventilation. Since you will not be dealing with pollen and can put a fan on the system, you should be able to manage around that many.

15. Howell

Howell Registered+

I'll do just as you say then. I'll be getting a couple of CFLs tomorrow and if I can get something better or more than 100W would that be ok? I mean should I buy the grow lights based on the W, Lumens or K?

16. emilya

17. emilya

i suggest a bunch of little ones like i have shown here... that way you can manage the heat better and get better distribution of light. Always go for total lumens vs heat... also, the big CFL bulbs put out a lot of heat and in your small space, it will be a problem.

18. Howell

Howell Registered+

That does look really original. Did you change them during veg? Or you used the same lights throughout? How tall is the grow box? Because your plants don't seem to be stretching like mine

19. emilya

no, my plants don't stretch unless I want them to. That tent is a special breeding tent. The plants were only in there long enough to produce pollen for me, but if I had wanted to put a plant or two in there to flower them out, I could have. Because of the situation, the lights this time were all flowering bulbs, but a couple of years ago that rig was in my veg tent providing some intense light over a special project, and there i used the white lights. That grow tent is the 1.5x1 Gorilla, a very fine piece of equipment.

20. Howell

Howell Registered+

Maybe I might be crazy here but is it 1.5 feet in Width and Length, 1 feet in Height? Because if it's so then something's definetely wrong with my grow box