New grower Help needed with Leaves

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by Jacob Rodriguez, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Jacob Rodriguez

Jacob Rodriguez Registered

I have a plant that's 3 months old. My leaves are started to turn brown then yellow at the tips and 2 have blackish spots appearing on them. It has already started to bud and whatever is effecting my leaves doesn't seem to be affecting the bud and leaves growing with them. I'm using the sun to Grow it and just some regular city water. Any reccomendations on what type of water to use or filters and etc. Thanks any help is welcomed and much needed. View attachment 336205 View attachment 336206 View attachment 336208 View attachment 336209

2. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

How long have you been in flower... I am guessing from the picture maybe 2 weeks? Your lower leaves are definitely turning yellow, and there is a good reason why these leaves can be affected whereas the upper leaves and the buds do not show signs of distress. If you look up the difference between mobile and non-mobile nutrients, you will be able to understand why this happens.
    Anyway, your plants appear to be hungry. When a plant changes to flowering mode it's nutritional needs change and a soil that once was providing well for the young plant, could easily run out of nutrients or not have what is necessary in it for flowering. This is what looks like what is happening with your plant. The lower leaves yellowing show that the plant is hungry for it's macro nutrient, and at this point you need a nutrient high in potassium and phosphorus, with lesser amounts of nitrogen than you needed a month ago. Just water is not going to do it for you any longer, you need to feed your plant. The damaged tips and dark spots are also indicating another common problem, a magnesium deficiency.
    Then there is your water. Regular city water is usually set to close to neutral pH. It also has chlorine or chloramine in it to kill microbes and keep you and your family safe. If and only if you are running an all natural organic grow that needs the microbes in the soil in order to break down the nutrients and feed the plants, you cant have chlorine in your water... and the chlorine from the city water will kill them. This will also cause your plants to starve at some point when the natural nutrients in the soil are no longer being broken down and transferred to the roots. If you are running a synthetic grow, where you will be feeding your plants with chemically based nutrients, chlorine wont hurt them, but then the pH of the water becomes critical, and straight out of the tap will cause nutritional problems, much like what you are seeing here simply because of the pH being out of the acceptable range.
    So... we don't know enough about your grow yet to determine exactly what the problem is or how to fix it, however we do have some big clues based on the looks of your leaves.
    Answer this, and then we can give you some suggestions as to how best to proceed from here. What exactly is your soil mix? If you are planning to feed your plants, what do you plan to use? After you answer those questions I can tell you whether you need a way to get rid of the chlorine or if you need a pH meter. Based on my latest information after years of study, I don't think any of us need water filters... it turns out the chlorine/chloramine is an easy fix if you have the need to get rid of it.

3. Jacob Rodriguez

Thanks for the Help! And I don't remember which brand or what exactly was in it but it was organic. And I thought about feeding just didn't know what to feed them. I also kept it in the same pot since it was a seedling.

4. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

if it was organic and you have been putting chlorinated water in there, you have killed anything that once lived in that soil. You need to feed. If you don't want to mess with pH, get an organic SOIL BASED nutrient line, and stay away from General Hydroponics who claim that their stuff works in both soil and hydro. You can do better than that in soil. If you do want to start adjusting pH, you have a whole universe of synthetic nutes available to you. Your choice of what you do with your water has everything to do with what you plan to mix into it.

5. Jacob Rodriguez

I was looking into getting the phosphoric acid that brings the waters Ph level down. I haven't looked into feeding my plant so I don't know what would be best to mix into it.