New guy.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TomSawyer2112, Mar 14, 2018.

1. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

Hello and thanks for the privilege of becoming a member here. So just a bit of background on me.
    You can call me “Tom”. Since I live in a state that still considers cannabis the devils lettuce, that will have to do for now. I am a cancer survivor. I had Renal Cell Carcinoma and lost a kidney back a couple years ago. My recovery has been a nightmare as I just can’t seem to get healthy again. After struggling a year to just work a 40 hour job and take care of my elderly parent, I decided to try CBD to ease some of my body aches and pains and it really does help. I asked my doc if he could get me a medical card and he tried but after a week, he called me back and told me that until Texas changes it’s laws, he couldn’t do it. He believes that medical Marijuana can really help guys like me. But I got the impression that he doesn’t want to risk his medical license under Texas laws.
    Anyway, I’ve decided to look into investing in the medical marijuana industry (stock market) and to start making preparations to grow my own for private consumption. The only issues I have right now is the fact that the company I work for does random mandatory drug tests and they have a zero tolerance policy. You test positive, you’re gone. Period. The other issue I have is how to obtain seeds. I’ve already started slowly investing in my own grow tent and light and other supplies. I can still use the CBD without worry and start to learn to grow indoors. I’ve bought several books and bibles on growing including Rosenthals book. I don’t plan on growing right away, however, if Texas ever goes legal, I want to be ahead of the game.
    But don’t think for one second that I don’t have any experience with weed! I’m 56 years old and an old 1970s-1980s stoner. I used to grow, use,sell my own back in the day. Weed was my favorite pastime besides fishing hunting and girls. LOL. But I stopped in 82 to pursue a career as a firefighter. I served as a firefighter medic from 1983-2010 in three different states. It was a wild ride. Got a bit of ptsd from all the shit I had to deal with too. So I believe weed can help with this issue too.
    Anyway, thanks for the add and I look forward to learning from you folks.
    -“Tom”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Welcome to Cdot, Tom.
    But I'm not going to whitewash that dang fence for ya.
    Aloha,
    H. Finn

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TomSawyer2112

Naw man..... We don’t need anymore whitewashing of anything! I say let’s paint it green. Anyway. Thanks for the add. It’s been decades since I toked the real thing. But back in my day, Columbian Gold, Thai stick and Muai wowee were my favs. Looking back, I bet I must have thrown millions of seeds to the wind in frustration. Now, here I am wondering HTF I’m gonna find any seeds local. I honestly have zero friends who smoke or grow. I don’t even know where to seek out and find people who do locally. Plus I sort of have trust issues these days. To this day, you guys are the only ones whom I’ve told that I even have a tent and lights and intentions. But as I have already stated, I’m only doing this for personal consumption.
    I’ve been reading the posts and topics here for the last few days while waiting to get approved and I must say, I’ve already learned a lot. LED is going to be my lighting. I’ve already bought one light and I’m saving for one more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

Welcome to the mix Tom; glad to have you. Lived for a couple of years in the DFW area... loved it, love the people. Y'all would fit in just fine up here in the Show Me state. Do they still have the billboards all over the place telling the kids to pull their pants up? I loved those signs... those and the Don't Mess With Texas signs!
    Hope you find the relief you are looking for. We are here to help if you need it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TomSawyer2112

Ya know. I really should pay attention more to the billboards around here. There’s one down the road from where I work that says something about letting the good times roll but trucks rolling over too. Anytime I see or hear “let the good times roll” I think of rolling something else and Louisiana where I grew up as a kid. I can’t even remember the French phrase for that anymore. LOL. Texas is home for me as I am a native Texan. Grew up in Louisiana and spent some awful years in Memphis, TN. But they have good BBQ. What makes me sad is the fact I may have to seek out another state to retire in where weed is legal. I don’t want to leave Texas. I’ve got a nice little farm out here in the prairie in the middle of nowhere. Perfect for growing if it could ever happen.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Welcome aboard, Tom. Hope you get the opportunity to grow your own, someday soon. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. TomSawyer2112

My grow tent arrived yesterday. I did assemble it to make sure all the parts fit right then disassembled it and stored it with my other stuff until I get the room organized in such a way where I can put it up. I still have a lot of research to do as to growing, legal, and what strain is best going to serve my purpose. I’m not going to rush into this venture as legally, I am not allowed to even be consuming in my state, much less growing. And the federal law still hangs over me like a 16 ton weight in a Monty Python skit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. RaysLiquorSauce

RaysLiquorSauce Registered

Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 2
  9. onjig

onjig Registered+

The word/words "Bonne Route" mean anything to youse ```

Hi Tom ~ Read your posts ~ will try to keep in touch ~ is there any sign of ~ legal ~ coming to pass in Texas ~ any sign at all ```

Welcome Tom ~ you were here before me ~ methinks ```

onjig

• Like Like x 2
  10. TomSawyer2112

I’ve almost forgotten all the French I used to know in Louisiana. But I think you’re trying to say “good move”.
    As for Texas........ it’s gonna take a miracle. We need to let the People decide, but the legislators seem to keep dropping the ball or just living in the 1940s.

11. Adabldo

Adabldo Registered+

Your in the right spot Tom. Did I mention I was a painter?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. onjig

onjig Registered+

Hi Tom ~ Good you're here too ```

onjig

• Like Like x 1
  13. TomSawyer2112

You have permission to stand down from painting the fence. I hear it’s probably gonna be a Wall soon.

14. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Yep, I'll get rich sellin' ropes and ladders. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. onjig

onjig Registered+

That'ed be good ~ we need a wall ```

Good walls ~ make ~ good neighbors ```

Tom ~ maybe we can learn a bit from you ~ as well ```

• Like Like x 1
  16. Adabldo

Adabldo Registered+

Locks are only to keep the honest people honest

• Like Like x 1
  17. onjig

onjig Registered+

That's very true ~ and wall keep the guta bocklar out ```

• Like Like x 1
  18. TomSawyer2112

I’m still torn on a ventilation system for my tent. Ain’t got time to contemplate fences or walls. Trying to decide if I need to draw from indoor air or outside air and should I vent to the outside with filter or to the inside with a filter.

19. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

bring in outside air if you can, it is way better than recirculating inside air. Vent and filter to the outside so as to not just get rid of smell, but also extra heat.

20. TomSawyer2112

This may sound a little silly, but why would I worry about the smell? Reason I’m asking is because back in the old days when I grew, I grew outside and I never noticed much of a smell until after I harvested it and brought inside to cure. I just kept it in the attic. Why be concerned with the smell?