New guy.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TomSawyer2112, Mar 14, 2018.

1. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

About the 4th week of veg the smell of an indoor growing operation can and will take over an entire house if not filtered. If you want to have visitors in your house, you will need to filter the air coming out of the tent unless you can vent it all to the outside and disburse it into the air. If you are in a neighborhood, even this will create a smell zone around your house at times and you still may need to filter it. If you are out in the country with no near neighbors, you probably do not need a filter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

I used to be a painter, too! Paint by the numbers first, then studied painting from the American Grand Master: Earl Scheib :thumbsupold:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

I live alone on my ranch out in the middle of nowhere. But can’t grow outside because of feral goats and hogs. Also I live between two cities where there is a lot of low altitude air traffic and LEO aircraft frequent this flight path back and forth. Can’t afford the risk. As a matter of fact, last week we had a Cessna circling our community from about 2000 feet for about 20 minutes. Definitely DPS or game warden.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TomSawyer2112

Just thinking, but should I be concerned about drawing from outside air when there’s a possibility of mold spores being introduced to the tent and plants? We have wicked mold here that attacks all sorts of grasses and plants. I lost 30 Austrees, and two small oak trees to a mold. About eight years ago.

5. emilya

only if you produce conditions in your tent that would cause mold to be likely to grow... make sure you have very good fan action inside of your tent, keep that air moving and keep it dry in there... no standing water in drip trays, etc.

6. emilya

I noticed an appreciable difference in quality and quantity of my grows when I stopped sending my plants recirculated house air and gave them fresh new air from outside.

7. TomSawyer2112

How are you drawing air from the outside into your tent? Keep in mind, I would have to either drill holes in my wall or floor or vent through a window which in my mind would compromise the security of my home. The floor would be more suitable however, that’s where it’s damp and musty under the house and that’s where I would fear drawing in mold spores. Exhausting through the floor could be a possibility but damn. Cutting 4” holes for the pipe would then be an attractant for pests and insects. I guess I could put filters on both ends......? Thoughts?

8. emilya

I think you are overthinking it. I have a window air conditioner in the room that our tents are in to help regulate the temperature in the summertime. I installed the air conditioner not in the middle of the window, but way over to the left side, and then on the right side I cut a piece of 1x to fit securely and to maintain security because its being bolted down to the window frame. In this wooden panel I cut two horizontal air duct holes and I used a horizontal to 6" round duct converter to be able to use cheap round ducting on the inside for my inflow and outflow lines. I chose horizontal holes rather than circular because of security. From the outside each vent hole has a cover, the input on the top having its vents pointed upward and the lower vent cover pointing the airflow from the tents toward the ground. A glance at this panel from the street does not raise suspicion, it simply looks like some sort of air vent next to the air conditioner and no one questions it.... but if instead I had used dual round dryer type deflectors outside it would have raised suspicion.
    I would not advise modifying your house to accomplish this, nor would I ever suggest venting in air from a damp musty area under a house.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. TomSawyer2112

Hmmm. I think I need to plan a road trip to Lowe’s. LOL. I think I’ll be using 4” though. You’ve given me some good ideas. Thanks a million!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. onjig

onjig Registered+

Hi Tom ~ Re venting : If you draw air from inside ~ unless you live in an Airtight ~ you will be drawing outside air ~ a large vent ~ is silent ~ a small vent can get noisy ~ unless using lots of watts ~ a fan ~ like one out of a Desktop computer ~ is good ~ you know ~ lots of watts ~ lots of heat ```

11. emilya

good point... I use serious fans. 750cfm is a good start... I have 3 of them.

12. TomSawyer2112

Not really worried about it being a little noisy. It’s not like anyone is gonna hear it unless they manage to survive the dogs in the back yard. Inside, it’s a room on the far side of the house away from the main living area and the door stays closed most of the time. And my house is certainly not airtight. I wished sometimes. It gets dusty real quick around my place. As for the fan, I’ve already got a plan for that. But the vent fan is going to be a proper tent type fan. I’ll have it on a reostat so I can adjust the speed. But yeah. Definitely trying to keep my wattage to a minimum on the fans. Save that for my lights.

13. onjig

onjig Registered+

I meant watts on the lights ```

• Like Like x 1
  14. emilya

don't scrimp on airflow... it makes a huge difference and one that I proved to myself when after several years of using closed bedroom air I started to use fresh never used to grow a plant before air from the outside. I would say it added another 20% to my grows and now everything grows rock hard. I also notice a difference with a winter crop compared to a spring-fall-summer crop, where I had to shunt off the outside air because it was too cold and instead fall back on the inside the house air. If I can see a difference, I know you will be able to also.

15. TomSawyer2112

My tent is only a 24”-48”-60” and I’ll only be growing 2-3 plants at a time. Yeah I could put maybe 4 or 5 in there but I would want another grow light for that. I’m growing for personal use and not to make any $$ from. I’ll let my stocks do that for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Adabldo

Adabldo Registered+

Well I can smell a grow seriously a mile away, one plant can be detected from blocks away. Our town is funny, you can drive around and smell the grows. The odor is much stronger when it is still growing.

17. onjig

onjig Registered+

Yep the scent is there ~ I didn't think so ~ but can't deny it ```