New Hydro System

Discussion in 'Hydroponics' started by NFT Nate, May 31, 2006.

1. NFT Nate

NFT Nate Registered

You guys/gals might be interested in my new Hydro system. Its made with 5x5vinyl fence post with 3 3" holes in the top. This is an NFT system that has a stand that is made with 3/4" pvc tubing. It has a 396gph pump that pumps the nutrient into 2 4' sections. Check out the pics to see what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. NFT Nate

NFT Nate Registered

I recently added the valves (red knobbed deals) so I can now adjust how fast i want the water to move inside the tube

3. LOC NAR1958

LOC NAR1958 Registered+

Looks well thought out. Good deal. Now let's get some plants in there. I bet you can't wait. Welcome NFT.

4. The White Snoop

The White Snoop Registered+

5. latewood

latewood Banned

I've been meaning t0 get down to hopot to buy some of that fencepost...lol good start.

lw

6. hazeywonder

hazeywonder Registered

Very nice that post is expensive hu.. i was looking into it once and it was like 25 bucks a post has it come down in price at all?
    very nice system

7. latewood

latewood Banned

they are around 20 bucks, give or take a few$

8. NFT Nate

NFT Nate Registered

They are $30 for a 8' piece. Total cost is about 60 bucks.

9. payn4school

payn4school Registered

I thought you could buy square pvc somewhere? Whatever happened to that?
    I am about to start building a 4 by 8 aeroponics setup, 120 is pricy for 4, 8 foot sections. I was hoping it could be done with pvc for half that.

What is that fence post made of? Correct me if Im wrong but you are just recirculating the water, not spraying it right?

10. moreover123

moreover123 Registered+

Will the pump be on 24/7? Or what times/lengths will it turn on? Does the water spray the roots inside or drip from the top?

11. hazeywonder

hazeywonder Registered

Yeah you can just use round pvc but its expensive too the thing i found was that if you use anything under 4"? or 6" one of those its been a while. That if you dont get a real tight seal on the net pot that the rounded top tends to let it leak. That post is nice though real nice work there lots of though and effort.

12. payn4school

payn4school Registered

I just got back from the depot. Are you using the posts that come with the wood inside? Those were the only ones I could find. Where are they susposed to be? Those had a good 6i inch notch cut out of the bottoms as well. im going to try the web site, I think my hd just blows. its always a wreck.

I also picked up a sediment filter for like 30 bones, that should solve my mister clogging problems. Just have to test to see how much the flow is reduced.

peace

13. payn4school

payn4school Registered

14. NFT Nate

NFT Nate Registered

This is an NFT system. Nutrient Film Technique, also known as Nutrient Flow Technique. There is a pump in a nutrient sump that pumps 24/7. First, the pump pushes the water to the start of the Tube..then..the water flows down into a drain that returns to the sump. The water in the Tube(fencepost) is about 2 inches deep and flows however fast i want it to because of the valves. The roots dangle into the constantley moving solution and grow like mad.

Payn, just make sure that filter wont filter out your nutes. And yes its a recirculating system..which is known as an NFT system.

15. Trivium

Trivium Banned

That NFT system is great, and looks very efficient. Great job nate.

16. latewood

latewood Banned

It is pvc fencing post...they make 4x4 and 5x5...and you can build nft like nate or aero or drip or a hybrid, there are no limits with this design. lw

17. latewood

latewood Banned

no, they are hollow pvc

18. latewood

latewood Banned

thanks good find, but did you figure shipping? Watch out, sometimes you find a good price like that and get burned on shipping...but those blanks are cool and in any length practically...later:smokin:

19. payn4school

payn4school Registered

Well I have been unable to get a shipping quote from http://www.academyfence.com/vinylposts.asp despite several emails and phone calls. I guess they are just too busy to deal with my relatively small order.

Anyways, Where did you get your fence post Nate? you never did mention that. I need to start building my new aeroponics setup and these fence post are all that im missing.

thanks
    payn

20. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

Lowes stock them at HD you need to special order them. They are in the fence section not the regular lumber section. That link to that NJ company is expensive, even the end caps are costly. Lowes is a better price if you are lucky enough to have close to you.