Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by TheSailor, Oct 21, 2016.

1. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I'll count this as my first grow, since my "testing the waters" grow was a male. I germinated 3 feminized Northern Lights, all 3 looking good so far. I went for a rather resilient plant for my first go.

Growing in FoxFarm soil, 300w led (have another for once they need it). Currently using my 2x2, but have a 4x4 when they're ready. Timer set for 18-6.

It's been a little over a week since seed, and here we are.

IMG_2451.PNG

IMG_2450.PNG

^ Is this purple on the leaves normal for some strains? They're not getting anything but H2O, air, and light. 2/3 have this going on. Temps at 78 lights on, 69-70 lights off. Humidity 50% lights on, 60% lights off.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I'll bet they look less purple under white light. :D
    What's the source, and PH of that aforementioned H2O?

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

They do, Ill post a pic under white light. I'm using purified bottled water at the moment, I believe it's deer park. It's about 6-6.4 by itself.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

IMG_2453.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

She looks good.
    Keep doing what you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A Gilmore

A Gilmore Registered+

What sort of yield are you looking for ??

A

7. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I don't smoke... I sure wish I could but I have about 1642 days left until I can (but who's counting...) So just enough to supply my wife with some decent bud compared to what's around us (not to mention prices, sheesh.) I'd be happy with 1-2 ounces per plant. She smokes about an oz or 2 per month. So to keep it simple, enough to make her happy and my wallet full :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redtails

redtails Registered+

Trust me that's a lot harder than it seems. Plants take 4-6+ months from seed to harvest and that means you will need to constantly have at least 2 female plants flowering and 2 more to replace them when they are done. Any bad luck and you are buying some again, so it's always good to shoot for a little more than you need.

9. A Gilmore

A Gilmore Registered+

Redtails is correct, but if you, take some clones before flip, & your lucky, you may be able to keep going, trouble with that is you may need a 2nd tent, as the clones will want 18_6, but with any sort of luck they'll only be there for 8 weeks, so the 2nd tent wont have to be anything much
    There is also some Auto's , that are starting to yield ok, in 70-80 days fom germ, dont use as much space, but yes they are not forgiving, & a mistake in there growing, will cost, i do know of growers using these Auto's, & when the half way mark hits they germ sum more, which can work , because a Auto, will handle 18-6 or 20-4, its entire growing, no need to back off to 12-12, but you cant clone a Auto, so seed will be an expense, all the best for your grow

A

10. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I don't mean to under estimate it, I have a 10x8 room if I need to ever upgrade (I just don't plan on it yet because I want some experience first.) I would've planted more, but again- this being my first grow...

I've got like 7 more seeds, if they are autos (which isn't what I asked for... but we'll see) I'll pop em first sign of flower. If not, I'll clone and keep a mother or something of the sorts.

Eventually, when I'm released from this ball and chain of a job I have, I want to definitely get more serious and invest more time into growing (and smoking!) Something about it is just calming and exciting all at the same time.

I appreciate y'alls advice! I'm definitely open for any pointers and such. I wouldn't learn anything if everything goes perfect... or if yall weren't here. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I tried to put my 2nd 300w LED in the 2x2 and it just got too dang hot. I have a pretty cheap-o ventilation system, I reckon I'll have to upgrade that if I want more light.

Anyways,

7DFAFD99-20F4-4C5E-957A-EE3D61F8B42A.jpg

#2 (top right, 2nd to sprout) is on it's own program. It formed only 2 leaves for the 2nd set. I might've gave #1 a tad too much water, but there are about 20 holes in the cup to air it out.

I'll post a picture update about once a week from here on out, unless it's preferred to be a daily thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

Fed them FoxFarm Grow BIG today at 1/4 strength. Going to transplant into 1 gallon containers tomorrow. They're soaking up more than what the solo cups can provide day to day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

Decided to go with 2 gallon "smart" pots.

IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  14. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

Humidity is becoming a factor with these pots (my crappy duct fans don't help either lol)... light on is fine, right around 50-60%. But light off it's about 75-80%. I can't afford a a fancy dehumidifier at the moment, all I have is a "hang-up" desiccant style dehumidifier. I don't think it's much of an issue at the moment, but come flower it may be.

I'm going to let em ride it out for now because around the 1 month mark I'm going to invest in 2 inline fans and a carbon filter. I guess I'll add a dehumidifier to the list :). 4x4 tent will go up around that time as well.

Another big thing coming up. I'm going out of town next week for about 2 whole weeks. I've rigged an automated watering system, that I actually have a lot of faith in. I have another post showing the details somewhere on the forum. I'm excited to post the results of that.

Have a great weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

Well it's been just shy of 3 weeks since seed. Here we are today, looking pretty good. Has anyone ever had plants in veg smell? These smell like skunky chocolate when I stick my head in the tent.

IMG_2611.PNG

IMG_2612.JPG

I ended up putting them in the 4x4 today, and installed a vent to the attic. Humidity and temp lowered (78f, 50%), so now I have both 300w Leds running.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Have you ever considered using damp rid to help with those humidity levels? I ve used it multiple times in the past with great results. just make sure you have a large grow area. I was using two of them in a small area but it started messing the plants

17. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I've looked at it, I've seen it at the hardware store. I'm a bit wary of the chemicals they use in it, doesn't seem consistent based off of reviews I've read. Did you do better off with one?

I've got my eye on a 45$ dehumidifier though, itll be perfect for the 4x4 tent except more maintenance involved with dumping water and what not.

18. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I've looked at it, I've seen it at the hardware store. I'm a bit wary of the chemicals they use in it, doesn't seem consistent based off of reviews I've read. Did you do better off with one?

I've got my eye on a 45$ dehumidifier though, itll be perfect for the 4x4 tent except more maintenance involved with dumping water and what not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

I forgot to snap some pics before I left... but today I'm headed out of town for a bit. Fingers crossed on my automated watering system. I'll update y'all in 2 weeks! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  20. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Good luck on the setup lol, & when I used the damp rid, I'd say it worked. I didn't have my grow in an enclosed area at he time so it was pulling water from the whole room, but within a week, the little bucket would be full of water. definitely doesn't work as good as a dehumidifier, but it's better than nothing at all.