.Ogie$el. First High Pressure Aeroponics Grow .Ogie$el.

Discussion in 'Grow Log' started by OGiesel, Oct 17, 2016.

1. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Hey gang, I'm taking a dive into the wonderful/mysterious world of High Pressure Aeroponics. I've read many logs and articles about hpa and I've always wanted to try it, so a couple weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the materials. my setup will consist of two totes, 8 nozzles with a micron size of about 50(+/-), one High pressure/low volume pump, 10 gallon reservoir. two 5 gallon buckets, two micro bubble air stones on separate pumps(don't really know if these will be necessary, ill explain why later, but better to be safe than sorry) & a deep cycle timer. no accumulators or solenoids, I've come to the conclusion they do help out a lot, but are not necessary

the pluming system will be designed in this order.
    the low profile 10 g reservoir will sit slightly above the ground at a slight tilt, so the outlet to the booster pump is at the lowest point. the bulkhead fitting in the reservoir will have a 50 micron screen over it, from there, it goes to an inline 10 micron sediment filter, then to the booster pump, which lies below the res. from there it will branch off with a Y splitter and hit both totes. all my fittings are t valves. in both totes, the incoming line will hit the first sprayer on the top right side of the tote, then down to a double nozzle sprayer directly in the center at the bottom, from there it will hit the last sprayer on the left side, then both tubes will connect behind the totes creating a closed loop system. they will spay accordingly so I should get minimal runoff. but I am draining both totes, piped, into there own 5 gallon buckets. I am draining to waste. it makes it much easier to set a standard to go by, allowing you to create a easy feeding schedule, with less monitoring. I will only have one plant in each tote, to maximize root growth room. all the pluming will be sealed(airtight lids), from the reservoir, to the totes, to the 5 gallon drainage buckets. I will only have 3 small exhaust ports, one on the reservoir , (to let out the pressure from the air stones/ let air in as the water level lowers) and one on each lid of the 5 gal buckets, (to let air out as it fills with water). I know, there wont be a complete seal in the totes because of the net pot that has to be cut in, but it'll be sealed good enough for me.

as for my current lighting setup, its no where near the amount I need. i am only running on a total of ~130watts, (2 leds, 1x90w,1x40w). ive been looking at the new led light that apparently has been blowing the competition out of the water, (equivalent to a 1000w!!!) ill post the link up later.
    not too sure what my timer setup will be, my timer goes down all the way to 1/2 a second intervals(which will be pointless in my case since I don't have an accumulator), but its good to know that it can do that, just incase I for some reason buy one of those money hogs. ive been reading and ive found a good zone for an on time to be anywhere from 2-5 seconds, depending of the size & plant, and an off time of anywhere from 2:30 to 4:30, 4:30 being the max.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

keep in mind, this is all inside of the 4x4x7 1/2 foot tent, oh and the reason why I think the air stones will be pointless is because since you're letting the roots suspend in air, and almost dry up before getting wet again, they're technically getting the perfect oxygen to nutrient ratio. am I right? on the other hand, I was also thinking, you wouldn't really want the reservoir to sit for long and get stagnant with low oxygen. would it really affect anything? I don't know! so i'm just going to leave the pumps on and running until someone can shine some light on the subject

• Like Like x 1
  3. shelton abbey

shelton abbey Registered+

Interesting set up man. Looking forward to the pics and watching how it develops.. Good luck .

• Like Like x 1
  4. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Here's the link to the light, https://www.kindledgrowlights.com/collections/k5-series/products/k5-xl1000
    With the discount code, it's about 1,400-1,500$ PER light. Extremely high investment, but it's well worth it, built in timers, 100% customizable spectrum (switch from veg to bloom), built in dimmers that actually lower consumption, and it's all controlled by a little remote! not to mention a boat load of other cool features. If I had more $$$ I would buy it right now, but I'm buying a truck from my buddy so most of my cash is going towards that at the moment, once I get paid , I'm ordering this light A.S.A.P.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Thanks Shelton, it's going to be a very interesting adventure, fingers crossed :hippy:

• Like Like x 1
  6. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Some of the equipment came in today, got the pump, repeat cycle timer, tubing, and two nozzles, now I'm just waiting for the 6 other nozzles, the filters, and the totes. Im also going to have to take a trip to the hardware store to pick up some pvc and some fittings. Oh and the light. I still haven't decided whether or not I should use 18 gallon totes or 30 gallon totes

7. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

10/20 update, picked up the two totes, decided to go with the 18 gal ones to give me some more height to work with. Planning on going to the local hydro store for a few things, then to home cheapo for the pluming. Ive also had to slightly change my layout for the tubing, instead of using a junction valve at the end of the two lines, I'm going to install a T valve and run a tube back to the reservoir that will have an electronic valve that is closed when the pump is on and opens briefly right after the pump turns off. This will allow all the back pressure in the lines to be released, thus eliminating the dreadfull "post drip" everyone is always talking about. Also My buddy is letting me borrow 2 300w led's to aid the growth untill I get some better lights .

So all that's left now are the filters, nozzles, some more tubing about 15ft, pvc for the drains, drain fittings, and I think that's it, I can't wait!

• Like Like x 2
  8. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

I'm building a stand to hold my totes and reservior later today. Ive always heard you should never use wood in your grow rooms, but I'm going to do it. Since the system will be enclosed, I shouldn't have any problems with mold. I have a good layout in mind, but it's too hard to describe, but basically, it will hold both totes at the right height to drain into the 5 gal buckets, I'm going to put them at around a 10 degree pitch, so the water will be directed to the drains. The stand will also be able to hold my reservior & pump. It'll be around 3&1/2 feet long and about almost 2 feet wide, and roughly 16" tall.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

So I just did some crazy stoner math and if i ran the pumps for 3 seconds on and about 4 min off, my pump will put out roughly 2.4 gallons a day :dead: this is some interesting news. This means I'm going to have to upgrade my reservior, to a 20 gallon. I was a little concerned at the amount of nutrients I would be wasting since I'll be doing drain to waste, but since aeroponics requires you to use extremely low nute doses, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Pump usage data
    2 sec on, 2:30 min off ~ 2.6 gal a day
    2 sec on, 3:00 min off ~ 2.2 gal a day
    2 sec on, 3:30 min off ~ 1.8 gal a day
    2 sec on, 4:00 min off ~ 1.65 gal a day
    2 sec on, 4:30 min off ~ 1.4 gal a day
    3 sec on, 2:30 min off ~ 3.8 gal a day
    3 sec on, 3:00 min off ~ 3.3 gal a day
    3 sec on, 3:30 min off ~ 2.8 gal a day
    3 sec on, 4:00 min off ~ 2.4 gal a day
    3 sec on, 4:30 min off~ 2.2 gal a day

Keep in mind though these times are during *Daylight hours* , during *twilight hours* , the plant is less active and can withstand a longer off time. So in the end, I will be using a lot let water than what is written above, but this is just to give me a good estimate.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  11. Wagonweed

Wagonweed Registered+

Very cool stuff. Can you put up some pics for us. I'd like to see the stages of construction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. shelton abbey

shelton abbey Registered+

Gonna be an interesting set up for sure..not to use wood ha ha I always used some wood

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Yes it should be an interesting adventure ! I'll try to take pictures of the build, but for some reason ,it won't let me upload certain photos, even when I use the lowest resolution on my camera, it still registers it as too big, but it only happens on certain photos, i snagged a couple pics earlier. Today I set up the table/stand. It hold the tow totes perfectly just like I had planned, I drilled out the totes and installed the drains, piped to the waste buckets. I installed two nozzles in one of the totes and did a test run, RAN FLAWLESSLY! !!!!!! Didn't get a picture of it in action, but I will once the rest on the material gets here and is installed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Keep trying to upload photos but it's just not happening, I'll see if there's another way I can lower the res, but the pictures are already kinda blurry looking. Not really trying to make a photobucket, I'm pretty sure I'll find a way around it though

• Like Like x 1
  15. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Here's the drain locaton in the totes

Attached Files:

16. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Here's what the drain looks like, the end of the pvc slides into the lid of the waste buckets

Attached Files:

17. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Can't upload the pictures of the stand/ table I build, or the nozzle placement, will try again later

18. redtails

redtails Registered+

I use an app to reduce the size and it works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSailor

TheSailor Registered+

Or if you are using a smart phone, a cropped screenshot always works for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. OGiesel

OGiesel Registered+

Thanks for the tips, Im going to see if that works