Old Wives Tales

Discussion in 'Growing Information' started by WashougalWonder, Apr 4, 2011.

1. irydyum

irydyum Registered+

Damnit Rusty, have you been spying on me?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rusty Trichome

Rusty Trichome Registered+

You'd be amazed what I know...:wtf:

• Like Like x 1
  3. seventhchild

seventhchild Registered+

i have returned to this thread fully intending to finish my reply.....but Rusty has already covered everything i would say so i bide thee a fair ado ....until the next OWT...

4. StickyBuds1987

StickyBuds1987 Registered+

ok so here is an OWT that has not been mentioned " if your plant only has 5 fingered leaves on it than its going to be male"
    is this true?

and that males produce enough thc to get you high or make hash with?

5. VapedG13

VapedG13 Registered+

No

Yes

6. Rusty Trichome

Nope. Not true at all.

Yes, but you risk pollinating your ladies, which will cost you dearly in yield. The only time you'll want a male to mature, is when you're going to collect his pollen for making seeds.

7. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

Would a male plant be worth growing all the way out if it's all you got at the time?
    I Couldn't recognize preflowers-so I just let them grow.
    Started 12/12 2weeks ago...damn sure know what I got now.
    So far they're the prettiest and hardyist plants I've ever grown and I am real reluctant to just yank them...BOO HOO!
    I might shoulda posted this in a new thread but all the great heads are here on this one...If it's bad manners,please pardon my dumbness.

8. Purple Daddy

Purple Daddy Registered+

Would a male plant be worth growing all the way out if it's all you got at the time?
    >>>>>>>

Why? Unless you're going to grind the leaves to make hash or hash oil a male plants serves no purpose other then to fertilize the females, hopefully none of your neighbors are growing.

9. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

'nother OWT bites the dust.

"Would a male plant be worth growing all the way out if it's all you got at the time?
    Started 12/12 2weeks ago...damn sure know what I got now.
    So far they're the prettiest and hardyist plants I've ever grown and I am real reluctant to just yank them...BOO HOO!
    I might shoulda posted this in a new thread but all the great heads are here on this one...If it's bad manners,please pardon my dumbness."

No worry it's in the appropriate place, Skihigh.:thumbsup:

(Allows the killing of another OWT.)
    Male plants have been given a bad rap by them Old Wives.

Here's the real skinny from actual research and from personal experience.

Males have very few visible stralked/capitate trichomes.

So they yield very little bubble hash.

But, good strains do contain >1% THC. and
    can be used for canni-butter.

Male leaf can also be smoked, if it's all you have.

It's every bit as harsh tasting as female fan leaf though.
    If you carefully dry and cure the smaller and tops leaf, it will help, but it's still never gonna be a, "wonderful, may I have some more please", kine sing.:)

I'd cut off the nuts as fast as they form. That might keep him growing while you smoke his eyebrows. (the growing tips have a higher concentration).

As always, there will be naysayers, (because they heard somewhere . . .). :D

So, I'd appreciate it if you would get back to us with the results of your bio-assay.:cool:

Aloha and enjoy,
    Weezard

• Like Like x 4
  10. StickyBuds1987

ah yes another OWT is if your plant it producing 9 finger leaves than it will be a hermie? im leaning towards no same as the one about the 5 finger ones haha

oh and another one that has not been mentioned

my buds are done when the white hairs turn brown?

11. Rusty Trichome

Growing-out males is a good way to coat your growroom surfaces with pollen, which can and will affect future grows. Smoking male leaves is (almost) like smoking the un-cured female leaves, but smoking fans from either tastes like crap. And since fans are the nutrient storehouse for the plants, it will likely have that ammonia aftertaste from the nutrients.
    If it's all you have...you gotta do what you gotta do. I've never smoked a male that made me want to do it again on a regular basis, and it's no replacement for the medicative properties of the females. But yes...they can get you high if mature enough.

Quantity of fingers is determined by maturity and strain. It has nothing to do with hermaphrodism.

The white hairs (pistils) are not a good indicator of plant maturity. They can be damaged and die-off throughout the grow from wind, dust, leaves rubbing them all the time, lights too close, being crushed as you check to see how firm your buds are...
    Trichome development and maturity is a much better indicator of plant maturity.
    A 5X magnifying glass works great to check trichomes, but a $13.00 pocket microscope from Radio Shack works even better. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

Thank you all for the swift advise my friends

Thank you all for the swift response, my friends.
    The plants will be in the compost bin befre I go to bed tonite!
    To W.W. .....Great idea is this thread!.........J:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Farmer Rich

Farmer Rich Registered+

Maybe it's coincidence, but I had 2 Amnesia Haze from fem seeds, 1 with 9 bladed and the other with 11 bladed leaves (on some). Both were the worst genetic hermies I've ever seen.. :wtf:

Just trying to help perpetuate OWT's.. :jointsmile:

Peace, Farmer Rich

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  14. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

Hey Rusty & Weezard......I'd rep y'all but they won't let me......YET!

15. Purple Daddy

Purple Daddy Registered+

It happens, I had 9 nice plants but one indica was the nicest, largest and healthiest of the group and happened to be the only male, go figure!

16. rudy2010

rudy2010 Banned

Thanks for the replies seventhchild and rusty. For the most part you confirmed my basic premise. I do lack some knowledge about what others are looking for when they smoke weed but the information I presented is based on my personal experience not supposition or inuendo.

My intention is only to point out that weed is not fully mature when the trichomes are cloudy (this is the OWT part) and both seventhchild and rusty actually seem to agree. I appreciate you pointing out that there are some folks who don't really want weed at this level of maturity for a number of reasons. That is just fine for them of course. In my experience I have noticed that weed harvested prematurely was weak and had an off putting taste to me which is why I posted this information. You have been able to find strains of weed that taste fine when harvested at this early stage of development and are tuned to help with your particular ailments. That is not what my post was about and I am not arguing that point.

I have no intention of disparaging anyone who smokes weed of any strength for any reason.

For me I use weed for pain thus I want the strongest weed so I can smoke the smallest amount possible and still feel relief. I want others out there suffering from pain to have this information available. Other than the folks on this forum I don't really know anyone growing weed who wants anything but the strongest and best tasting weed possible. I stand informed on this point and thank you for it.

This brings up another uncomfirmed piece of info I read (another OWT?). Some folks say you need to see 50% brown or amber trichs before you harvest. I can't find that particular post at this time but I think they were saying the weed would be stonier but would loose a lot of its flavor. I read this post some time ago and don't remember the exact details. Anyone know if this is another OWT. I heard some folks say that when the trichs go that long the plant is just dying and you are losing quality.

17. StickyBuds1987

Not a pro by anymeans but i think that i can hep you, the color of the trics just affects the high you get for instince if the tircs on your buds are 80% cloudy and 20% anber well then the high would be more of a head high and not so much of a couch lock something good for people who have to work and stuff but still need there meds. Now if you switched the percentage around to 80% amber 20% cloudy than well you would have something that would help you with pain or thats good to smoke before bed and stuff, so the rule of thumb is more cloudy trics means more of a head high and more anber trics means more of a body high couchlock type feeling good for pain.

So man its really all depends on what you or the person likes, wants or needs if they need it for pain than you would harvest it with more amber trics and so on but as far flover and stuff i cant help you there maybe one of the pro's can help with that and let us know if im correct haha.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rudy2010

rudy2010 Banned

Thanks for the updated information. This should help sort out where people want to go with the maturity of their plants prior to harvest. I have never gone more than 50% brown or amber trichs but I will try going to different stages when harvesting this fall with clones of the same plant grown in similar conditions and will report my findings. So far I have had really good luck once I started waiting until I saw at least 5% amber so it will be interesting to see if going 20%, 50% or 80% will make a significant difference. Do you know if going longer will affect the flavinoids in a negative way.

I saw a post by someone discussing storage who said they just stored their weed in jars in a cool dark area. They claimed their weed just kept getting better. For me I find the strength is still the same but a lot of the taste seems to be lost. Any OWTs on storage people should know about. Being vegetable matter I think freezing is the best. I say leave it a little moister than usual so it will not be brittle when thawed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. StickyBuds1987

ah yes do that and let us know how it comes out and for flavor i cnat help you there.

ah the stuff about putting your buds in sealed airtight jars is called curing what this does is is eliimnate the moisture from the buds and gets rid of the the bad tasteing stuff and the amonia smell it also activates some stuff in the thc i think but im not a pro so im not really sure they also say that it improves the flavor and makes it less harsh.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WashougalWonder

WashougalWonder Registered+

Can we keep the thread closer to topic please, move informational stuff to your own threads please.