Outdoor Success in the Western Pacific Northwest?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by Shovelhead Jed, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Shovelhead Jed

Shovelhead Jed Registered+

Hello guys & gals: i need tips & advice on growing outdoors in the western coastal area of the Pacific NW. First time growing outdoors. Any tips on strains that do well in this wet & gloomy climate? Do NW/BC growers veg their seedings indoors awile before transplanting outside? Approx. date to plant outside & harvest? Grow in the ground or in camoflauged buckets? Bugs & mold? I know there's WORLD CLASS outdoor weed grown on both sides of the border..if they can grow outdoor in southern coastal BC then i'm sure it's being done in the western NW states, too. I just imagine it's kinda hard to grow, with possible mold issues & a super late harvest? Please help! I read the sticky about which strains grow well in which regions..and the one post was from BC..with limited details. So come'on you Oregon & Washington & BC outdoor growers, help a newbie out. I only plan on a dozen plants tops..so not a commercial grow just personal. Deer problems? Other critters? Tricks or the trade? Unfortunately, i don't live in a climate like florida where you can throw a handful of seeds in the backyard in the winter & have them grow into monsters. Here it's chilly, damp, & limited sunshine. Kinda near saltwater, too. The summers are nice, tho..and i KNOW it can (and will) be done..lol. I figure if you can grow outdoor in Alaska, you can do it in the PNW. Thanks in advance..i'm not trying to get ya'll to give up your "trade secrets" (actually yes i am..lol.) but just steer me in the right direction with some basics. Thanks for reading, S.J.

• Like Like x 1
  2. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Northern lights of course and you will definitely have a higher success rate if you start them inside for sure I tried planting outdoors in the ground in Washington before its too rocky so if you just want a huge plant grow them in 5 gallon buckets outside.

3. tlranger

tlranger Registered+

We go ahead a dig trenches with a backhoe, then fill with the best we can make, rooted wood, rice hulls, compost, and purchased goodies. Then use a big soft pot on top of trench, filled with the best. Start in greenhouse and move outside get some large ladies that way. DSCN0810.JPG we like Humboldt Kush.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shovelhead Jed

Iganja: thanks for the advice, i was thinking either 5 gal buckets or i read somewhere on these boards of the idea of using cheap kiddie pools, spray painted with camoflouge paint & filled with a blend of ocean forest soil, perlite, & other goodies. Then planted 5 plants to a kiddie pool. He had it down in a hallow, with tall plants hiding it. Pretty good idea, i think. I was considering Northern Lights..i know it's a sturdy plant..have you grown that strain in a Washongton or Oregon climate? Thanks

5. Shovelhead Jed

Tlranger: your system sounds killer..but a fair production, especially in it's a stealthy grow. It sounds perfect, though if stealth is not an issue. When you say "grown in big soft pots" are you referring to those smartpots? Cloth pots? I've heard of folks digging out holes for each plant, filling the bottom with a few inches of gravel, then the soil/perlite mix.. It might depend how rocky the soil was there. (not with a backhoe, i suppose..lol.) that plant looks great--happy & healthy! So how long are the seedlings vegged in the greenhouse before going in the ground. The NW climate seems like they would have to go in kinda late & finish kinda late, right? Maybe transplant outside in late May or early June? And harvest in late September or early october? (i'm just guessing here..help!) haha well thanks for the comments & pics guys. I feel like a sponge just soaking up pools of information..i have alot to learn. ps: Tlranger is the "Humboldt Kush" strain grow good in a climate like the NW? Thanks, S.J.

6. tlranger

tlranger Registered+

Soft pots - cloth - roots can grow though the bottoms into the good stuff underneath, dig big and deep so no 'rocks' are needed northern cali drains well, but needs irrigation system.
    Soft pots in greenhouse. View attachment 298865 this year's are already started in greenhouse, will go out in May at about 4-5' already sexed. View attachment 298866 harvest in harvestober, greenhouse first in first out. Usually a little smaller, but stll pretty DSCN0743.JPG allot of plant stock in north cali, Bigfoot just loves the kushes. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tlranger

tlranger Registered+

Check out 'got a call' in the lounge

• Like Like x 1
  8. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Of course northern lights will grow in the NW I'm pretty sure in 2006 someone from grays harbor placed in the cannabis cup with their northern lights.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shovelhead Jed

Ranger: ok i'm a dumbass, i thought you were further north like me. I lived (for awile) in Humboldt & Del Norte counties..i know the season there is quite a bit hotter & drier, unless you're right down by the sea. A few miles east & higher up it gets super hot & dry, i see why your plants look so healthy & good. It's alot chillier, more humid, & not as much sun around here.. I need a fast finishing & mold resistant strain, something that will grow bushier than tall. Definately more of an Indica-heavy hybrid. Yeah, the emerald triangle is a beautiful place..full of ewoks & bigfoot & huge monster ganja plants..and alot of "heat." I wonder if the assholes from CAMP are still doing thse damn flyovers. I assume so, but back in the early 90's when i was there it sure seemed BAD. Locals were PARANOID, sneaky cops all around, etc. I wonder if the Cali MMJ laws have mellowed those assholes in black helo's out? That's the land of towering Trainwreck & a near perfect climate for outdoor grows. The greenhouse pic is AMAZING! Looks great? Was that one grown in a greenhouse the whole time or moved in/out like mentioned? Thanx, S.J.

10. Shovelhead Jed

Iganja: that's great to know. I sure was not aware of the C.C. win. Good news for me: Gray's Harbor County is even wetter & less sun than where i'm at. Similer elevation, close to the sea, etc. A Northern Lights Pheno was already on my "short list" of possible strains, just cux so many folks recomend it for noobs because of it's sturdy/forgiving nature. A shorter bushier strain, too. The only other strain i've heard about for similer coastal conditions, is the A.M.S. strain..i think it's from Greenhouse Seeds? Or at least that's one breeder who seels the beans. I've heard conflicting reports: most folks say "AMS" stands for "anti-mold strain" but on then others say "AMS" was named after the airport in Amsterdam..anyone know which is true? Thanks, S.J.

11. tlranger

tlranger Registered+

No, your no dummy, I'm only on the mountain for stretches of time during grow seasons. This fall after coming back, had what they called an event, so no mountain this year. Long ways east right now for a while. After this winter's disaster, pretty much starting over here myself. Have some cali stock to start over but always looking at New stuff. Will find me another w widow. Love that frost.

Helos still a deal in the triangle, makes the blood flow. I did read, their are like 4000 grows and the cops might hit 90-100, so unless you cause trouble you seem left alone, last year some moron deforested the side of a mountain and put up 100 greenhouses - got busted. Another dropped a 'big' tree across a road, going to keep people out. The fuzz had bigger saws than he did. Still saw several fly over though. We're kinda legal, and have paper work for the farm. The satellites don'tget talked about, share grows.

Drive through ewok country nearly every day. And love fishing the coast, lot more rain there. Mold still a problem, big buds means mold. Especially end of season. Got to be watching. Every one is still paranoid!! Cheeses, blue dream seemed to be the kids in town. We're still kinda old school. Don't move stuff at all after planting the lady that's declared herself. Trying to shorten the season with some new crosses ourselves. But if it don't bubble, it's not worth the trouble.

But hearing what's going on there, keeps me going, will be watching your stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

But if it don't bubble, it's not worth the trouble.

What does that mean, TLR? Do you encourage smoking or dealing with hash only or did I misunderstand that comment?

13. tlranger

tlranger Registered+

Can't throw a curve by you can I. Absolutely right, first place I heard this was from the hash boys. An indication of potency. But has come to have various meanings for us. Basically it's if your not doing good, then why you doing anything? But use it in our rating system for about everything. Suppose I shouldn't use anything but clear language here, my bad.

Cannot tell a lie though, love hash and concentrates. But a nice frosty nug, no seeds, that just fits the bowl, flash crown the whole thing, sit back and enjoy the buzz is my true silver bullet.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Shovelhead Jed

Great post, Ranger. Reading/writing about the triangle sure brings back good memories..haha in '93/'94 i moved to Arcata & lived in my VW van for a year..moving around the area alot. (Shelter Cove is Beautiful!) This was back when Arcata was a stop-over for kids on Grateful Dead tour..between shows they'd show up to hustle & hang out. It used to be if a hard working & discrete guy could just get an introduction & if it went well/they seemed stand-up, you could pretty much show up in Garberville in the fall & get a trimming/helper job. Or in the spring get hired to do labor like hauling soil & water out to bumf**k Egypt. It was ALWAYS a "family" kinda business, but there were opportunities if you got your foot in the door. I doubt it's so easy anymore, out of paranoia & safety. Shit, i nealy fogot about the damn satallites..i've seen on youtube how pretty much ANYONE including thieves, LEO, etc can zoom into google earth or whatever & actually see the grows if you know what to look for..scary shit, that business!) Back when this was back when you= could NOT just look this stuff up online, but had to "apprentice" or just learn the hard way..the web sure has changed things..i miss the old ways sometimes but still appreciate the wealth of info online.) my Grandfather (RIP) was a logger/sawmill owner in nothern Humboldt, & owned several large 100+ acres parcels of prime land bordered by the Redwood National Park. He was a differant generation, & used to tell me stories about how many times he had found other peoples growsites on his land. (it was perfect, even had several natural springs for water.) unfortunately, he was very law abiding & would call the damn sherriff to come get the plants, bummer. Later, when i was a teenager, i would walk around his land hoping & wishing i would find a crop, just to see how it was done. Sadly, when he passed away my folks had to sell the land to pay off gramps debts..the asshole feds from the Redwood N.P. found a few arrowheads on the land, & declared alot of it a "historacil site" & basicly took it away for chump change. He had no choice in the matter..this was many years before we sold it, so his land went from several 100+ parcels to one parcel less than 60 acres. Asshole feds. Anyways the parcel & sorrounding land was PERFECT for growing, it was 12 miles east from 101 up on the mountain/hill. Near Orick, in Northern H. Co.. (if you know where that is..pretty small place) oh well, hindsights 20-20, and i daydream once in awile about what if i could have bought my folks out & homesteaded the land. (its off the grid) I remember hiking around on a neighbors land (not very smart..lol) and coming across a grow. It was early in the season but someone had built chicken-wire cages, placed them up in trees, placed 5 gallon buckets with the plants in them into the cages..then it looked like they carefully pruned a few branches here & there off the tree to bring in more sunlight to the cages. I always wondered how that would work..other than being a bitch to water & attend to. But i assume they were done that way to hide from helo's, thieves, & deer, etc. Lots of creative ways to camoflouge..i got outta there fast c& stayed away from the area after that. Anyways, i was curious cuz i've heard you mention greenhouses several times..are they just used there for starting the vegging, or is that the way people are growing for the whole season? If that dumbass cleared a hillside & put up a grip of greenhouses, he must of been planning of doing the whole grow in them? Better/worse than completely outdoors? I appreciate it any more help you can offer. I'm starting an indoor MMJ grow really soon but after some thought & research i want to try growing at least a few ladies outdoors this year..maybe i'll dig holes (no backhoe) & try out those cloth buckets on top of the filled holes like you suggested. Or i may use 5 gal buckets or the kiddy pool idea i "stole" from elsewhere on cannabis.com. I haven't decided what strain or anything. I just hope i "meet" (on here) a successful outdoor grower from the coastal area of either Oregon, Wash, or southen B.C...i need to pick someones brain about these specific growing conditions, & when to transplant into the wild. Also how big or old the begging plants should be before transplanting outdoors. One more questiion to ask: do you or anyomne else know if there is any problems with using big shallower containers filled with a good soil/perlite mix planting severak plants in each planter? Especially indoors using LST/FIM techniques? Is it ok if the fifferant roots get all crossed & intertwined? Or better to grow one per pot? I've seem lots of pics lately of folks successfully growing in everything from rubbermaid totes (not talking about hydro) or even square shaped plasic totes/boxes. In the LST/FIM/S. Cropping/Scrog tutorials, i often see the plants in wahtubs or other shallow bit wide containers..so the plants can be staked down, & grown bushy & flat for much more lighting coverage. (sorry i switched from outdoor to indoor kinda but the same techniques can be practised outdoors) any help os appreciated. I also need to find some good genitics to work with..if anyone has access to some good beans without having to send away to another country, please let me know. Could pay, trade, or whatever. Clones too, although can't mail those in a "birthday card" or whatnot. I guess it will most ofen come down to trust (or lack of) so it's hard to do a trade or hook someone up when the folks on these sites could really be ANYONE! Hopefully after awile of getting to know some new online friends, someone will be willing to meet up or mail me a few beans. I'm new to the forums, and trying to make new "friends" to pass the torch to, so to speak..if you can reccomend any similer board forums i should join, please recommend them to me.i just joined Cannabis.com, Rollitup.org, Growweedeasy.com (not a networking site..just compiled info) and one more, i forget what its called, but it's kinda small. Have you ever used that Planetganja one? (or Ganjaplanet?) I've only heard of it, thanks to anyone who can recommend another good site, or point me in the right direction on any of my questions! Sorry such a long post..but that last post from TLR got my mind working in overdrive! Cheers & happy growing, S.J.

15. tlranger

tlranger Registered+

Fly into Arcata, have to be picked up. Garberville is the supply town. Done reggae on the river several times, but not since the move of the festival. Lots of greenhouses does look suspicious, and the smaller grow tunnels are know for sog' s and targeted because of plant numbers. Lots of plants means lots of trouble. Have found some gold, but the gold is mainly in the green. Good luck with the coastal guy, I'll get out of your hair, but will be watching

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shovelhead Jed

Thanks Ranger. It's been a pleasure talking about the triangle & outdoor growing. I tend to ramble & get off topic..for that i apologize. Good luck, i hope to "chat" again sometime. I still need to check out "got a call" in the lounge. I still haven't checked out the lounge..just the "growing" threads. Cheers. Any one else have any info/experiance growing outdoors in the NW coastal climate?? What strains, when to plant/harvest, methods, etc. Come on peeps i know ya'll are doing it out here..lol. TY, SJ

17. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Another note about growing out there I forgot I never have my grow room at the right temp to be honest its almost always under optimal temps IMHO I think at least it stays consistently in the 60s and I'm growing ruderalis x Brazilian sativa right now and its growing pretty decently just something for you to think about when worrying about temps.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shovelhead Jed

Hey Iganja thanks for the post: so if i understand your post you're saying that out in this PNW climate with an indoor growroom that the issue is not with keeping the temps lower by major ventilation..but the issue is keeping it warm enough for the plants? Can you give a short list of how you're set up? (lights, exhaust, tent or room, insulation, etc? This problem had occured to me but i figured with insulated walls & blocking the windows with foam insulation the crop would be plenty warm under a 600 watt HPS..(plus possible heaters for the dark hours..in winter at least?) Am i wrong? Everone talks about the rooms/tents being too hot/humid but rarely too cold.. Thanks, S.J.

19. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Well my family keeps the thermostat at a constant 66F so and I don't have a tent just a big cardboard box shoved in one end of my closet with one side cut off but my walls are white so the one open side has a white wall I have the box covered in panda film even the bottom and I'm running 150 watt LED comet series from hidhut so I don't have a heat problem from running my lights.

20. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Also by me mentioning what temps my grow room stays at I was referring to when you move them outside I'm saying since I can keep my grow room at that low of a temp I'm telling you not to worry about your girls unless it drops to under 45-50 degrees outside but inside that hps will keep anything warm I've heard of people heating their house with their hps grows thus making their heating costs completely drop.