Outdoor Success in the Western Pacific Northwest?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Growing' started by Shovelhead Jed, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Shovelhead Jed

Shovelhead Jed Registered+

Yeah i wish i had a fireplace..lol. Perfect place to vent your indoor grow, as well! So you seem pretty happy with Royal Queen? They seems kinda pricey but then again so do all the European seedanks.. I've never heard of KC45..do you know what the genetics are? (which crossed strains made the KC45?) Sounds like a good one. Please keep me posted on how those ladies turn out! Cheers ps: what's the diff between their "regular" seeds & their "medical grade" seeds? Besides costing more..lol?? Xx

2. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

I have no clue honestly but I got the royal queen critical as a freebie from Herbie's when I ordered the kc45 the breeder is kc brains and the genetics that Herbie's gives is Russian ruderalis x Brazilian sativa

3. Shovelhead Jed

Ok, i follow ya. I thought you were ordering straight from Royal, instead of a collective seed house like Herbies. I bet that critical auto yields pretty good for an auto.. Those two plants look nice & healthy. So you've had good luck with Herbies? I've read that sometimes the bigger seedhouses (like Herbies) supply so many diff seeds from so many breeders sometimes the quality suffers or they run out of porular seeds often. I've also read good reviews about Herbies.. Anyways best of luck Iganja make sure & take some pics before you harvest those ladies.. Xx

4. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Just waiting for my jewelers loupe to come in ordered it off amazon should be here within the next week then I'll be harvesting either right before or right after 4/20 this wasn't intentional either just so happened to coincide. Also herbies did me more than right I was supposed to get 3 freebie seeds and they threw that royal critical in just for fun. It was even opened by customs and they didn't seize a damn thing. They have some of the better prices that I've seen gorilla has some of the more intriguing strands at good prices too but to my knowledge they still don't have a payment processor to accept credit cards.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Shovelhead Jed

Sweet! 4/20 harvest..can't beat that. I'll check out Gorilla seeds.. I have the OPPOSITE problem than you: since my credit is so screwed up i can't get a debit/credit card. So the old-school way of ordering with a money order or even cash in an envelope works best for me. (its the only way i can order, in fact) it sounds like Gorilla uses that method if the don't take cards. I need a jewelers loupe myself: i found a a sweet deal on Amazon for a digital "herb/food grade" scale for less than $30 (i forget how much) and the scale comes with a nice little fold-out brass magnifier loupe for checking your trich's.. Gonna order that with the rest of my gear asap.. Xx

6. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

I could always use a money order but I'm a lazy type of person when it comes to things like that. But I'm using money that I've made on the internet itself to order these seeds anyways so I could make it beyond untraceable but I don't and you can still get a debit card you just have to get a prepaid one and load it at Walmart or Fred Meyers or Safeway if you really want to.

7. Shovelhead Jed

Right on you must be talking about paypal or bitcoin to order your seeds? I'm not really worried about someone tracing/confiscating the beans..most every reputable seedbank i've checked out has some sort of guarantee that if your shipment doesn't reach you they will replace the order.. At least that's what i've read. As far as prepaid debit cards go: i've purchased prepaid visa/mastercards but they DO NOT work for paypal or most other online card-pay systems. Especially smaller businesses. You must be referring to those reloadable debit cards, like the "Green Dot" cards, etc? I need to go try one of those out--there are several brands like you say that supposedly work to buy most anything online. I went to get one awile back "Green Dot prepaid Visa" but after reading the fine print..i decided against it. There was a bunch of hidden charges & other drawbacks in the fine print that made me hold off. However, this was quite awile ago so i assume the choices/options are better now. I'll have to look into those more closely. As you can imagine, not having a bank account or debit card in this day & age is a real PITA..especially with paying bills, ordering things, 24 hr gas pumps, etc etc. Regardless, i'm determined to get some good genetics asap. I an indecisive by nature so choosing from so many strain choices can be a bit overwhelming. So many good strains choices; and each specific strain could be much differant from one breeder to the next. Like, a White Widow pheno from Greenhouse Seed could grow/perform so very differantly from a WW from Nirvana or Attitude. Since the breeders are not really "regulated" or whatnot therecan be huge variation in one strain from several differant breeder to the next. Choices, choices.. Xx

8. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

That's the wonders of you being the one to pick your beans. My girl doesn't have a bank account either cause someone messed up her checking account when she was younger so she owes the bank like $500 so were gonna fix that problem here soon. But yeah I know there is several people here that have used the prepaid cards to order their beans so they can probably point you in the exact right direction. You can never go wrong with Barney's farm but those are top top notch genetics in my opinion. Also from your opinion and my I'm assuming that we both are starting to like kc brains just judging from your comments on my grow.

9. Shovelhead Jed

Cool, i'll be definately looking into those prepaid debit cards. Sorry to hear about your Girl's credit issues: i can relate same situation with me except i did it all myself when i was younger (& dumber..lol.) messed up my credit rating many years ago & have been struggling to use cash/money orders for all my bills & stuff ever since. It sure is a PITA, these days if you pay with cash people look at you like you're crazy. I've always preferred to keep my assets in cash or gold..i just don't trust some numbers on a slip of paper compared to an ammo-can full of cash buried in the yard..lol. The older i get though, the more i find it's a PITA cuz everyone uses debit/credit cards (or paypal) for everything online & elsewhere. Now i'm hoping to do the same thing & build my credit back up so i can get a bank account & card again. As for the beans: funny you reccomend Barney's Farm cuz i keep hearing how awesome their genetics are..i forget the strains but i'm read quite a few posts by super-satisfied customers..(oh yeah one highly-praised popular strain from Barney's is their LSD) sounds like a winner..that one's on my "short list" of possible beans to order. I'm also waiting to see how your KC45 comes out..i won't be using Auto's, though. Good luck i hope those finish nicely! Xx

10. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

I owed the VA $2000 till my taxes come through and pay that debt off screwed up on my fathers GI bill. So even my credit is on the rebound but I have a checking account with a debit card and my paychecks are direct deposited so that's helping. Kc brains isn't just a auto breeder either I'm interested in their photo period stuff too and they're relatively cheap. Another thing that's a bummer about crappy credit getting an apartment but luckily I found a Realtor that I walked in there with cash in hand and between me and my girl we have 3 jobs so she didn't even bat an eye about a credit check. I may even start an outdoor grow this year too if I can find the right location on my parents property to where they can still have company over and it won't be a problem. But an outdoor grow would yield me so much bud I wouldn't have a damn clue what to do with it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shovelhead Jed

Lol iganja you crack me up man.. it's pretty rare to hear a grower/smoker complain about what to do with too much bud..lol but naw for real i understand what you're saying..that's why i only plan on growing maybe a dozen plants tops outdoor this year..prolly even less. I want to it be stealthy & a small footprint for several reasons: 1) i'm growing for personal + bit extra but NOT "commercially" for a few reasons..one being that it would break my heart to lose a big outdoor crop because i'm a noob grower & made some dumbass beginner mistakes.. 2) the learning curve..i'm assuming that with the weather conditions up here in the cold/wet NW the outdoor growing will be somewhat trickier & more finicky than in a warmer climate. (gotta worry about early rains, mold, etc. etc.) the consensus i've gotten here & on other boards is that in this region it's really best to have a greenhouse or portable pvc/visqueen "grow tunnel" to bring in the outdoor girls in case of too much rain or to finish them off late in the season, etc.. (they can also be "tricked" into early flowering by "light deprivation" which is something i never thought of till someone recently explained it to me.. Basicly just covering your girls with some light-proofing to trick them into starting their flowering cycle earlier..could be handy for early rains & cutting some time off your finish/harvest date. So with this scenario your outdoor girls would need to be in movable containers/buckets. I've heard from several folks from this general area that lost half or more of last years outdoor crops because of the early rains & wet fall..hence mold/rot problems, etc.. Luckily i should have much less invested in my outdoor crop..just the cost of seeds, nutes, & whatnot. So if it turns to shit i won't lose my shirt. One thing to think about growing on your family's land: depending on the laws where you live, plant counts, etc.. & whether or not it's a legal, semi-legal, or straight up "outlaw" grow.. worst case scenario their land/assets could be siezed by the man if busted. This might not be an issue with your state/area/setup/etc.. but just food for thought.. (i'm sure i'm not telling you anything you don't know.. These reasons are why so many outdoor growers find spots on state/government owned land, neighboring property, etc. Anyways yeah i'm gonna check out this "KC Brains" seedbank & see what i find..thanks for the info cuz honestly i've never heard of them. Not a shocker as there are SO MANY seedbands/breeders out there these days. Cheers, Jed

12. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Yeah parents got 12 acres man trees surround the whole property can't even see the house from the dirt road. And its a straight up outlaw grow no medical in Kansas.....shhhhhh nobody is supposed to know that. Folks have no problems with it because nobody is coming on this property unwelcome without having a gun shoved in their face. Plus I got a creek running through the property with straight snow melt/spring water flowing through it.

13. Shovelhead Jed

Wow, that sounds like a beautiful spot, bro. And PERFECT for your plans. I am down with ALL grows..i think the more peeps willing to take the calculated risk & grow this medicinal & harmless plant should do so, as the more who are doing it the less it seems like a "dangerous drug" to the squares, politicians, etc. Look at CO. & WA...i NEVER thought recreational legalization would happen in my lifetime..and here we are on the cusp of huge changes.. I hope your state at least passes a MMJ law, which is a great start. But regardless, just be safe & educate yourself about the laws & possible worst case scenarios..(that's what i'm trying to do) back-up plans can be very valuable, i think. (like put your plants in movable pots if growing in a sketchy spot outdoors, just in case they need to be moved to another spot in a hurry..) damn i wish i had my own land..lol. Sounds killer, man. Keep me posted if possible! Later, Jed

14. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Well my LED keeps overheating itself therefore keeps turning on and off so it doesn't burn out the chips so I'm in the process of digging to find my timer in hopes that a 18-6 light schedule will prevent this. On the flip side though I found the rest of my kc45 seeds they were right out in the open still in the breeder envelope just under a shoe box lmfao. But now I have the dilemma of finding my timer. I'm just gunna keep searching I've seen it just can't remember where but that will be a mystery no more in less than 10 mins hopefully.

15. Shovelhead Jed

I had a feeling they were prolly hidden in plain sight..lol. That's great you found those bro..seeds can sure get pricey: especially the autoflower/feminized kind. Cool Beans. (pun intended..haha i'm a dork) anyhow, good idea running a 18/6 lighting instead of 24/7. From what i have been told, some folks veg under 24/7 light, some under 18/6 light.. Not sure about the Autos, but the regular seeds seem to do good either way. If you can't find you timer unless it was a fancy digital one i know you can grab a cheap one at walmart or anywhere ekse like that. I got a pretty nice old school style timer at my local Goodwill for a buck..worls fine with my appliamces..haven't used it on grow lights yet. I also picked the best one out of 3 or 4 they had, so they seem pterry common. Someone suggested to always have at least 2 timers, in case one goes out during flowering or some shit. I guess with those auto's, the timers are not nearly as important as they flower under long light hours & not 12/12. Good luck, man

16. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Now my light hit the shits but I have a full coverage warranty on it lol the internal fan somehow went out so the ballast kept overheating and once it reaches a certain temp its programmed to turn itself off so the whole unit doesn't fail. But I can't even speak to customer service till Monday.

17. Shovelhead Jed

Shit. Better go grab some cheap CFL's at your local walmart or supermarket to keep thise ladies alive & happy until they fix your light next week! It'd really suck to lose those autos cuz the LED stopped working.. Good luck my friend!

18. iGanja

iGanja Registered+

Yeah is there clay sockets that are already wired so I can just plug them in? Or am I gunna have to acres with a little bit of wire?

19. Shovelhead Jed

sorry bro i was offline. (i post from my phone & just stay logged on to here when i go offline so my lil green light might stay on when i'm not on here..) anyways i think your best bet if you don't wanna wire up some sockets yourself is go buy a cheap "clamp-on" worklight w/hood..(like the kind that are used for extra light when remodeling a house, etc..) they are like between $5-10 depending on where you go. They have a regular screw in light bulb socket, a clamp to attach it, a small round metal "hood", & plug right into the wall/timer/etc.. Also buy a socket extention (little thing that screws in to the socket to extend where the bulb goes..$1-2 each) and several "Y" sockets ($2 each) depending how many CFL bulbs you are gonna use. The extention gets screwed into the clamp on light (otherwise the bulbs won't fit past the hood..or the hood can just be removed..) then screw a "Y" into the extention on the light, which gives you 2 sockets outta one clamp on light. If 2 CFL's are not enough (depends on size/wattage) you can keep going & screw another "Y" into each side of the first "Y", which gives you 4 sockets for CFL's. I'm sure you get the point. You can keep going, but remember it will start getting heavy with the more bulbs so you'll need to maybe hang it instead of using the built-in clamp. If it were me, i'd get a 4-pack of 23 watt (equal to 100 regular watts per bulb) "Daylight" CFL's (i got mine on sale at safeway for $7.99 for a 4-pack), which are usually used for vegging & are rated at 6500k (cool blue light spectrum) & go with the 4 bulb setup i described, that should be enough light for those 2 girls (2 bulbs per plant) until you get your other light fixed.. Remember with CFL's the light won't reach very far so they will need to be pretty damn close to the plants to get best results. They work best at 2-3 inches from the plants..and no more than 6 inches away. They still can burn your girls if too close but just use the hand test..put yer hand "palm down" on the top of the plants & if it's too hot for the back of your hand, it's too hot for the plants. There are a million differant ways to setup CFLs but for just a short term/quick/easy & cheap way to keep them alive & well this setup should work just fine. For more/better info check out the "cheapo's guide to lighting" thread (stickied i think) & posts on here to learn more options. I cannot cut/paste on this phone or i'd put the link up here. Good luck bro & lemme know if i can help in any way. Feel free to PM me if you want. Lemme know what you end up doing, i hope this helps. Cheers, Jed

20. Shovelhead Jed

Just re-read your post & realized i never answered your question..lol. Honestly, i don't know if those ceramic sockets come wired or not. I have never seen them come ready to plug in, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If you go that route just buy a cheap 8 ft "lamp cord" which is super easy to wire up & costs $6-8, depending where you go.