Panda film alternative - PVC grow tent

Discussion in 'Growroom Setup' started by BanjoMoon, Sep 11, 2016.

1. BanjoMoon

BanjoMoon Registered+

Hey guys!

I currently have a wooden grow box that I made myself but I'm looking to expand my garden.

Because the wooden box is so heavy, I was thinking a PVC box frame with some sort of opaque plastic as the walls would work well.

The issue is that most people using PVC grow tents use panda film as the walls, but that is a little too pricy for my budget.

Could I use dual-layer duct tape instead?
    -I was thinking of just wrapping the frame with a couple layers of duct tape, but I'm not sure if there would be any chemical issues or if duct tape could provide a good enough barrier for smell.

Could I use a plastic shower liner?
    -I could spray paint one side of it with metallic paint to make it opaque. But I'm not sure if it'll seal out smells.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to panda film/mylar?

Thanks for the help!

2. redtails

redtails Registered+

Pvc and the tape would both outgas and create a toxic environment. For a cheap reflective material look at emergency fire blankets or car sun shades.

3. BanjoMoon

BanjoMoon Registered+

What would you recommend I use instead of PVC?

4. SSDIPainGuy

SSDIPainGuy Registered+

I don't think pvc is a problem. I also don't think there is a cheaper option than the poly. Some things just need to be done right, but they're pricey. Save up and do it right.