Post your screw ups

Discussion in 'Advanced Techniques' started by Weezard, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

User called Karma on open grow started a thread like this.
    I think it's a great idea. Thanks Karma.

Error sharing makes us all better growers.
    Everyone has an occasional brain fart. I've certainly had my share.
    I'd much rather read about disasters than participate in them.
    So, post your screw ups here as cautionary tales.

I'll start.

I had a superb tomato plant in DWC, out on my lanai.
    6 feet tall, 7 feet wide with monster beefsteak toms.
    Tom1.JPG
    tomroots.JPG

Got to sampling my other harvest and spaced out on checking levels.
    Came out to a very droopy looking bush.
    Looked in and the 8 gallon tub was almost dry
    That's when the stupid happened.

Panicked and grabbed a water jug, like another 10 seconds would have made a difference.
    As I was dumping it in, the Chlorine smell hit me like a truck.
    But, it was already too late.

Dumped the tub and refilled with tap water, trying to rinse the roots.
    Nope. Dead as a door nail. [​IMG]

That was the panic part.
    The screw up was using old bleach bottles to mix nutes, and leaving one filled with bleach in the same area.
    Boy, was that dumb!

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

I use a 1 gal jug to mix my nutes in and fill that with water from a 3 gal jug. I was almost finished mixing when I realized I had added the nutes to the 3 gal jug, doh!:oops: I had to use that water because I was going away for the weekend and had no other water that had sat to de-chlorinate, so I had to add more nutes to get the ratio right. I only had two plants and couldn't use the three gallons of nute mix that quickly, so after a week or so I saw discs of mold floating in the jug and tossed the contents. I think it was the molasses that caused the mold, not the various nutes.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

sang sucks

4. gardenermendo

gardenermendo Registered+

Weez, my story is similar, chlorine can be a killer.

I was showing off my indoor 3 foot plants to my Mentor, and I grabbed my hand sprayer and mixed Azatrol to spray as a preventative. I didn't know that a family member had previously used my sprayer with high concentrate chlorine. I even rinsed the container before using, but I didn't pump out the spray wand. So I was merrily going around the room, and Mentor said, what is 'happening to your plants'? They were literally wilting 3 minutes after application. I smelled the wand, realized there was chlorine smell, and was embarrassed. I went to the hose, rinsed the wand and tank thoroughly, and quickly went back with plain water and started washing down all the plants. I managed to 'save' about 10 plants although there was leaf damage, 3 of the plants could not recover. It was so easy to make a terrible mistake like that.

They say making mistakes is the greatest teacher in life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Bump!

6. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Over dosed my plants with blood meal + double nutes. Go figure?

They required a transplant

7. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

The one that stands out for me was when I had a batch of really shitty looking clones.
    They were really slow to pop roots and were getting worse looking as time went on.
    I was really at a loss as to why they looked so crappy. I root clones in a bubbler, and they always look so nice and green when they are ready to go. These were looking all sickly and yellowing...
    They did pop some roots after a few weeks, but were the saddest clones ever.

I used an old Jack's Bug Brew spray bottle to mist the dome with H2O a couple times a day.
    Turned out I was using the wrong bottle to mist the dome with.
    Sad clones, but no bugs. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. theweedsneeds

theweedsneeds Registered+

I once put humidity domes over seedlings outside and they died :( haha we once sprayed with to much canola oil and burned the shit out of multiple plants I've messed up a bunch of times stupid little things too

• Like Like x 2
  9. Buck Rogers420

Buck Rogers420 Registered+

I lift my wife to tend the garden when I went deer hunting. (Nuff-said ):eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

It's real easy to snag the wrong feed jug, when running perpetual with multiple varieties. I'd done that so many times, it was comical.
    Using dry erase markers directly on the jugs cured that.

I wish I hadn't purged my laptop of pics a few years ago. I used to use the Grow Assistant software to document everything.
    Oh yes, all the carnage was there in glorious color. :eek: A pic's worth, well, ... you know.
    Describing those crispy, fried, Chernobyl plants just ain't the same as seeing them. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. tangentweed

tangentweed Registered+

My first attempt at a legal medical grow several years ago.
    Kind of a rinky-dink setup. I would improve with subsequent attempts.
    Not really a screw up, as we were rewarded with 2 foot long colas, but I let this sativa veg to long and it got outta control.
    I was growing in the garage in a 5 gal bucket and the thing ended up getting taller than the rafters.
    All I had was some twine to tie the buds up so they wouldn't sag & bend.
    I was expecting maybe a 6' plant, but ended up 9' +.
    These pics were about 2-1/2 weeks before it's finish. It would get a bit taller.

garage3.JPG garage4.JPG garage5.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. Shovelhandle

Shovelhandle Registered+

I trusted a ph meter that went out of wack. I two point calibrated with proper shit so I thought that had to be good. But it was telling me my well water was very alky, as high as 8.5. So I pH corrected my water and feed (pH down). The plants hated it. I learned to trust instincts, when things seem strange, believe it. They probably are and should be solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Somedatapackets

Somedatapackets Registered

I'd always heard about how if you use light deprivation to make all female seeds, the subsequent offspring from those seeds would be likely make seed, light deprivation or not.

Someone gave me some seeds, about fifty of em and I threw em out to sprout and nearly all of em did, freak of nature. Some of the plants grew real fast and got frosty very early so I light-deprived them to make a bough full of a couple hundred feminized seeds.

Everything went okay, I harvested and subsequently put out the seeds I'd made, about a dozen and a half. Every last one made so many seeds the stuff was barely usable. Should have used the silver wire I owned, and made colloidal silver solution but I didn't.

14. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

Things that make you go hmmm:
    1. If it's so good, why do they have to sell it to folks who can't see or smell it?
    Good herb sells local.

Besides, Spammers are rip-off artists from the get-go. ;)
    That doesn't help with credibility. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1