reptile lights

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by matty, Aug 25, 2005.

1. matty

matty Registered

hi.i am growing a plant under a 3ft 25w reptile florescent tube and am having great results.my plant looks nice and healthy and is about 1ft tall.will flowering be ok with this light.i know the results will be nothing like i would have if it was under better lighting but was just wondering as i was told that i would not even be able to grow at all with this light and have proven them very wrong so far

2. HARDDON

HARDDON Registered+

Show us a pic of your 1 foot tall plant grown under a 25W reptile flo tube.

Some of us would like to see that, as hell, we can throw away all our high end lights that cost some serious change and just do like you did.

Man...that would be sweeeeet :)

3. matty

matty Registered

im afraid i do not have a digital camera. but i can assure you that it is one healthy looking plant. so what about flowering then. can anyone help me please

4. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

Not sure but if you got this far why not give it a try.

I was always under the impression those gave off more leat then lumens.

5. HARDDON

HARDDON Registered+

MJ Plants are like kids of parents.

Every parent sees the beauty of their own child and thats all they can really see. No matter what the child looks like to us, to the parent, its baby of the year poster time. :)

I can only imagine what that plant really looks like :D

Sorry man, but you arent growing more than a couple of joints worth of weed with a 25W reptile lamp.....

Don't get me wrong...I am not dissing your grow. I am sure to you she is beautiful as beautiful can be. :)

But facts are facts and reptile lights are designed for red spectrum yet high heat output. Ad, 25W might be great for a lizard or a bearded dragon but not a foot tall MJ plant :)

But...best of luck to you and as Zandor said, what you have to lose?

6. matty

matty Registered

no offense mate but i have grown some of the nicest weed.i would know if my plant was not growing very well. ill try and send a pic to prove it

7. matty

matty Registered

oh and have just looked for the packet and clearly sais ideal for growing plants.

8. digitaldog

digitaldog Registered+

i started mine off with a cpl of 2ft strip lights with reptile aquarium bulbs over them. They don`t give off anymore heat than usual fluro strip lights but i found the growth was very slow and i didnt think they would really do much for them once they got past the 1st few weeks of popping out of the soil so i discarded them.
    I think them bulbs are ok for very early stages of seedling but that`s bout it.
    Digi

9. dingobaby

dingobaby Registered+

Dont let the Lizard man eat your shit

10. ChronicBlaze

ChronicBlaze Registered+

i have a 250watt red spectrum high heat lamp will this work for growing

11. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

The word HEAT is a no-no.

12. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

So you grow some of the nicest weed with those lights hu?

Like these?

Attached Files:

13. Marc Benson

Marc Benson Registered+

Not to say that your plant is not "nice and healthy" but I think what some might be suggesting is that we all see these plants that everyone says they're really doing great and then when you see the pic they're all stem, spindly and very little vegetation. When it really takes some major lumens, like 30K and up to really grow a really great plant. So all we need to do is see a pic and that'll disspell any concerns that a snake light can or can not grow a mj plant that's worthy of bragging about. So get that camera and get us a pic.

I've got 4 45 watt CFL's, 3 23 watt CFL's and a 2 footer with a 'grow bulb' and warm white in it. So I have close to 300 watts of CFL's in there burning for 4 plants. Translates into about 15,000 lumens and that's way low according to all suggestions and studies for adequate light to grow these plants in the space I'm using. All that said, you use what you have or want to use. Doesn't make any difference what it is just so you're happy with it and it accomplishes what you want it to. I'd love to have a mh and hps for growing, but am moving in a few months and am just not going to invest in those until I get settled someplace else.

I talk too much.

14. Marc Benson

Marc Benson Registered+

Zandor those are kick ass. That last photo is unreal. How long did it take to grow that?

15. HARDDON

HARDDON Registered+

hehehhe...zandors pics ought to be illegal. :)

well we know the reptile lights dont grow plants like those eh?

16. digitaldog

digitaldog Registered+

Hey that aint a MJ plant Zandor !!!! That`s a fuckin equatorial rainforest!!
    I`d hazard a guess that there`s a few , as yet , undiscovered primative tribes living in there somewhere!!!! LMFAO !!!
    Digi

17. mand

mand Registered+

Well Zandor :) they make mine look very silly :eek:

I've never seen anything like those before :)

Absolutely amazing..........................love mand xxx :)

18. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

Thank you all, the first 2 yielded over 2 pounds each of dry bud. The last was over 3.5 pounds finished. A friend grew that out and took him about 120 day's from clone.

The others were finished in 105 day's from clone and were done last year before I took that room down (thinking we were selling the house and moving)

Those are all grow in the KBS style with over 12,000w of light, CO², AC, A fogger to keep the RH at 70%for veg and dehumidifier to get it down to 45% for flowering. I used the CAP Extreme controller to monitor everything. I grew them using GH nutrients with other enhancers depending on the cycle.

19. Marc Benson

Marc Benson Registered+

Awesome is all I can say. But what is a KBS style of grow?

But come clean Zandor! Tell us the truth! You used Miracle Grow didn't ya??!! ha

I just read an article though that says AN outperformed GH. One plant grew 1.2 pounds with GH and the other exact cloned plant grew 1.9 pounds. This was from an article on the big grow houses in BC. Interesting read for sure. Big money to be made up there if you have some to start with.

20. Zandor

Zandor Registered+

That does not surprise me Marc at all. I do use their enhancers but not their 3-part mix. GH is the same and cheaper.
    I am seeing and hearing amazing things about Dutch masters Penetrator formula that have my attention. There is a KBS test grow I am following at another site and it’s awesome.

KBS stands for Killer Bucket System it takes money & lots of room to grow KBS style. There is not much information about that style around and when it is it's not always right. There is one site dedicated to that style of growing but it's private and has not had new members in many years. It's mostly for pros helping other pros and they like to keep it private and safe. These guys are growing 2-3 pound trees and growing hundreds of them at a time so you understand why they are not public. These guy's grow the largest plants I have ever seen and the yield is always amazing.

Gives you something to strive for now.