Revegging after harvest

Discussion in 'Advanced Techniques' started by Dreadscale, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dreadscale

Dreadscale Registered+

Hi all

I am slowly coming up on harvest time. I love these plants so much I want to reveg them.
    Can someone please tell me how to harvest them so I can reveg the plants.
    I know I have to leave a little growing material on them, but how much?

Can someone please point me in right direction?

THANKS

2. BobBong

BobBong Registered+

Well, obviously you have to understand that what you're talking about will severely stress the plants. So if you have other plants in flower you want to be very cautious of male flowers growing once you re-flower them.

When and if you do decide to do this though, remember to leave as much fan leaf as possible as this is what the plant will revert back to using to absorb energy. Cut all the material at the same time or in the same sitting and let the plant recover (it'll take 2 weeks or so)

Hope this helps,
    Good luck!!
    Bob:stoned:

3. Fencewalker

Fencewalker Registered+

You've motivated me to post a thread on my experiences revegging, here.

I've revegged Top44, White Widow, AK47 X Soma #10 and White Rhino with no problem with hermies. ;)

A lot of growers that reveg leave the bottom 1/3 of the plant.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  4. Zcomp

Zcomp Registered+

I believe the correct way to re-veg is to selectively harvest. When you cut off a large cola, the plant responds by speeding up growth to compensate for lost mass. You end up with lots of leafy growth. After you cut a cola you should give your girl a week or so to recover. Then cut the next large cola. Warning is, this will extend flowering a good bit, Then it takes at least 2 months of re-vegging to get a healthy plant again. Even then, there's a good chance that your plant either won't survive or will go hermie.

5. Rusty Trichome

Rusty Trichome Registered+

What I do is...
    Let her finish, harvest, then cut it back very drastically. I leave 2-4 of the smaller shoots and thier leaves. Don't leave too much of the foliage, tho. Just enough for photosynthesis. Avoid contact with the severed ends of main colas and branches, and avoid spraying with anything till wounds heal. (couple of days should be fine) Have heard of candle wax being dripped on the severed ends to seal it off from microbes and bacteria, but have never found it necessary. This applies to pithy stems, and hollow ones.
    I then flush again, and start her on the veg nute regimin.
    Clonable shoots in a couple/few weeks.

Sometimes the soil will peter-out half way thru the re-grow, (water will not absorb, it just runs thru the pot) and a surfactant may be necessary. 1/2 to 1 tsp or so, of dishwashing liquid (not the antibacterial kind) per gallon of water works for this purpose. Just once should do the trick.

If you are short on space in your veg room, and are quite adventurous, you could give this a go:
    http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-log/146765-rusty-s-bonsai-downsizing.html
    Had seen it done elsewhere, and it worked fine for me, too.
    (not recommended for beginners)

6. Dreadscale

Dreadscale Registered+

Great Replys

Thank you All for the great replies.

BobBong, and Zcomp great input much appreciated.
    Fencewalker, and Rusty Trichome thanks a ton for the info and the links.

I am a beginner but I do feel adventurous. I am going to give it a shot, if it doesn't work out I do have some clones that survived.

My plants are super nitrogen deprived and they are nothing but buds. Nearly all the fan leafs have withered and died. I'm going to keep a log of my attempts and will post some pictures.

My fingers are crossed!

THANKS AGAIN

7. Dreadscale

Dreadscale Registered+

First Harvest

I harvested my first plant today!
    Hopefully I have left enough of her to reveg.
    Any tips will be greatly appreciated, I still have 3 more almost ready to go.
    Tips on the harvest would help also, I just cut it into pieces that would hang easily.

Did I leave enough for her to reveg?

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS

Attached Files:

• b4.jpg
      b4.jpg
      File size:
      778.6 KB
      Views:
    • Cut.jpg
      Cut.jpg
      File size:
      677.4 KB
      Views:
    • cut2.jpg
      cut2.jpg
      File size:
      769 KB
      Views:
    • stump.jpg
      stump.jpg
      File size:
      677.7 KB
      Views:
    • hung.jpg
      hung.jpg
      File size:
      625.1 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rusty Trichome

Nice buds.

What's left looks fine to me.
    Have you removed the leaf-litter, and flushed yet?
    Did you decide to be adventurous and downsize, or are ya gonna leave 'em in the same pot?
    Either way, you'll start seeing progress in no time. :thumbsup:

9. CultureCherryPopper

CultureCherryPopper Registered+

Lol, I was going to make a new thread about my experience so far with re-vegging, but I saw this and thought I'd offer my thoughts. I cut down a nice bagseed indica that was topped once, leaving two bud sites below the split. Flushed the plant with 3x the volume of the pot, then gave her my flowering solution of a high P fert and molasses. I left her in the flower room for a week, then moved her into a computer case with 3 cool white 23W CFLs. The CFLs actually fell on her the first day, partly crushing one bud site. Now, one week later she's producing the typical stress leaves in mutliple shoots. I am so fucking stoked because this was one stinky, stoney bud. So, it's been two weeks and she's well on her way back to the vegetative state. I'm currently using a 30-10-10 fertilizer at about half strength, watering only when the soil's completely dry, so every 2-3 days. Got a nice indica/sativa hybrid that I plan on revegging in the same manner to see if this procedure works well. Yay experimenting!

10. CultureCherryPopper

Dreadscale,

1. Nice avie, bro.
    2. Your lady should make it; I left less bud on mine and she's got at least 5 new shoots.
    3. Your plant looks like a friggin' bonsai plant. I dig it.

Just be patient and don't fiddle too much with her and let her do her thang. Oh, and since I don't feel like editing my post, I have my revegging plant under 24 hour light. Is 18/6 more optimal for reveg, or should I/we stick with 24?

11. Rusty Trichome

Since I've only got one veg room, I do my re-vegging under 18/6. (400w MH) Same with my clones and seedlings.
    I don't know if it's better or not, but it works for me.

I have recently started up-potting the day of harvest and re-veg.
    When setting-up my 3 gallon pots, I line the bottom with no more than 1" of rocks, then a layer of that shade cloth (Shade cloth remnants) cut to size, to cover the rocks, then add the soil and plant. I use the shade cloth so I don't have to spend time picking rocks out of the bottom of the plant, and, so no soil will sift thru the rocks creating a path to the bottom of the pot. (keeps soil and roots from any standing water in the bottom of the pot)

I start 'em flowering in the 3 gallon pots till finished, with a really good final flush about 3 or 4 days before harvest. (letting soil dry out a bit) Then I leave the usual ammounts of foliage for re-veg.
    Then I set-up a 5 gallon pot with the rocks and shade cloth, then I add fresh soil.

Once the 5 gal pot is ready, I slide the plant out of the 3 gallon pot, and peel the shade cloth from the bottom of the rootball. (which is full of fine roots, but no tap root gets thru) I tap the rootball lightly to remove a little of the old soil, and transplant into the 5 gal. pot. Quick and easy.
    I put it in the 5 gallon pot, and fill with more fresh soil. Then into the veg room they go. As the soil I use is pretty hot, I haven't needed to nute, for the first couple of weeks. Gets the roots looking for nutes in the fresh soil.

Last time doing this, I didn't find a hermie, and am almost bummed about it. Because I have already seen the ladies all the way thru harvest the first time, I know they are a stable strain, and would love to see a stress flower or two for breeding femmed seeds. I do have the option of feeding one of the re-veggies some acetylsalicylic acid, tho. (uncoated aspirin - stresses female plant into sending out nanners...not for beginners)

Wow...Sorry. Didn't mean to write a dissertation. Guess I should have started another thread.

12. CultureCherryPopper

I do believe I have a few seeds forming, bt it's still just a guess at this point. Meanwhile I have to run and get some dolomite lime to take care of a calcium deficiency that seems to be occuring with the revegging indica.

13. CultureCherryPopper

I rarely ask questions so I hope I'll get a response, and since it's pertaining to my revegging indica, I thought I'd keep it in here. My plant has plenty of new shoots, but a lot of the tips of new growth are yellowed, and a lot of the older leaves are showing either a calcium or magnesium deficiency, or both. It's been flushed in the past month so I don't think it's a lockout. So, I figure that crushing up some lawn limestone and dissolving it in my weak nutrient solution might help. But now I'm thinking, is the plant going to be able uptake the Mg and Ca from just crushed limestone? Also, a lot of the growths are twisted and weird-like; does this indicate a completely different problem?

14. Rusty Trichome

Dread: How's your doing?

CCP: Do you know the ph of your run-off water? How well did you flush? After already going thru a season of ferts, salts can build-up in the soil and affect the re-grow. After flush, did you go back to giving her the veg nutes?
    I get weird leaves at first, too. Am guessing it's the plant going "WTF?". Once it adjusts, you should see improvement and new growth. (week or two) A week or two after that, ready for clones or re-flower.
    Keep in mind, too...there's already shit-loads of roots, and the longer you re-veg her the more rootbound it'll get, as she nears harvest.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  15. CultureCherryPopper

The leaves are growing wrinkled or curled over or folded, so I'm thinking maybe she's rootbound. I'll repot her and flush her again, see if that helps. I'd do it today but I already watered her.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  16. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

Wrinkled leaves is a sign that the soil pH may be too high. You have to check and possibly fix that. Also, you can foliar feed at any time.

Re-vegging is a GREAT time to give your plants SuperThrive. I like to leave ming under 24/0 VERY blue flourescent light (best success was an Ott Light) and give superthrive at a heavy dose (4 drops per gallon) ONCE early in the re-veg.

17. keeko

keeko Registered+

question on revegging

I have revegged this plant and was thinking of making her my new mother plant. Instead of going to a bigger pot size(im in 2 or 3 gallon now) could I trim about 1/3 of the roots and replant in the same size grow bag with fresh soil with little stress?

Attached Files:

18. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Registered+

even when your plant is 3 weeks flowering? :Rasta:

19. Rusty Trichome

The more careful you are with the roots, the lower the stress. In other words, making a clean cut is less stressful than just ripping the roots apart. Never grown in bags, but have heard root bruising/breaking can happen during transplant, due to the shifting soils, but Psycho4Bud could likely offer more on this, since I'm pretty sure he grows in bags.
    I do a good flush before transplant/root trimming to remove built-up salt and to keep ph in check, but allow to dry-out before transplant. This will keep the rootball somewhat intact for the move.

20. stinkyattic

stinkyattic CultiModerVatorAtor

Yes. Obviously, later when you have significant bud formation, you'll want to avoid foliar sprays of any sort getting on the buds themselves but since this is a thread about re-vegging we weren't talking about a flowering plant...