Should I top at all during Flower ?

Discussion in 'Growing Information' started by Buds Buddy, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Just put my plants into flower 2 days ago & wondering if I should top any more. I heard somewhere (not sure where) that you still top the 1st 2 weeks of flower....but not after that. Is this correct ? When should I stop topping them ?

2. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Two days in you won't actually have any flowers yet, so if you need to top do it now. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Mind you, they will respond differently to topping once alternate branching begins.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Thanks for the input. I guess the topping I did a few days ago will be my last on these plants. Is there anything I need to do specifically in the flower stage to help things out ? My 1st grow & I don't know if my plants are stressed out but I sure am from trying to figure it all out & get it right. I am learning as I go...I can say that much. So many things I didn't know I needed from the start....so the plants didn't get them right away....but did get them as I learned about them....but on a late schedule more or less. My biggest problem is keeping the temps in the mid 70's. Tents just hold too much heat. My house A/C is on 77 & it's cold in the house. My HPS Tube light has exhaust fan & I have 2-small clip on 6" fans in the tent also....but temps are still around 80 degrees. Think I'll buy a portable A/C & try to just cool the one room with it. If it weren't for the heat I think things would be so much better. Costing a fortune trying to find a way to deal with this heat problem. been through several in-line fans trying to get heat out & cool air in but didn't help much at all. In-line fans are now sitting on a shelf in the garage since they didn't help. Waste of money !!!
    Sure wish an experienced grower would give a complete detailed account of exactly what he does, what nutes & when, when to transplant, when to water, etc... instead of having to search for everything individually. That would give us inexperienced growers more of a chance at success. I have read a couple of grow books on the subject & I'm finding out more & more ....but at quite an expense....when you find out you bought things that wont do any good. That's why I'm having such a tough time putting out $200 or more on a portable A/C when I'm not absolutely positive that it will do the trick to lower the temps in the tent. The tent is too small to put the A/C inside it so I have to get the room cold enough to cool the tent inside the room. This is a real PITA to deal with being in AZ. with temps outside already hitting 100 degrees +++. It gets really hot here. One summer it hit 123 degrees. Instant Sunburn !!!

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

We have a heat problem in the tropics as well.
    And we have very expensive electricity as well.
    The thought of paying to heat the grow room up with HPS, and then paying even more to cool it back down, is just not sustainable here.
    I can tell you my solution.
    Sold the HPS, built some targeted spectrum LED arrays.
    I use 56 Watts for every 6 seedlings and 100 Watts for every 4 "tweens".
    3 lights.JPG
    I do have a 150 Watt array for budding, but no longer use it.
    Got my card and can now flower in tropical sunlight. :)
    Those LEDs that you use for side lighting would work if they are targeted.
    If they are "white light? not so much.
    LEDs do not radiate IR. The heat they produce is generated at the junction and is easily dealt with. My arrays maintain 90° F. with an ambient of ~82° F.
    Keep in mind that cannabis is a weed. I have a friend in Nevada who grows outdoors in the desert at >100 ° F. and they do jus' fine. Says the bigger problem is the damn dust.

And again, more than enough light is too much.
    For lighting, It's all about efficiency and efficacy.

Aloha,
    Wee

• Like Like x 2
  6. onjig

onjig Registered+

Top when you feel the need ~ they'll branch out ~ below the topping ~ until the plant begins to shut down ~ you can tell when it's over ~ when a plant stops vegging ```

7. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Well it sounds to me like the 80 - 85 degree temps inside the tent wont really hurt the plants ? It stays between those temps even at the 400 watt setting with no problem. I've been trying to keep it as close to 75 as I could get it as everything I read says that is the perfect temp with 50% - 60% Humidity. My Temps are usually 81 - 82 Degrees with about 40% - 50% Humidity. Am I good with where I'm at ??? I noticed one of my plants has shown some little white hairs for sure (very excited). My biggest one I'm thinking is a male but not positive as of yet (Big Disappointment / was hoping for some nice buds from it). Other 2 aren't showing enough yet to even take a wild guess.
    Anyways, I'd like to know more about the LED's. Do they put out a lot less heat than the HPS ? I'm thinking about maybe buying a 300 watt LED Hood Light to go with the 4- 45 watt spotlight LED's I have now & switching to that for next grow. But will I still need to buy a portable A/C or will they run cool enough without it ?
    It's kind of funny how everything was going so well using several CFL's & once I changed to MH & HPS all my problems started. I'm almost thinking CFL's or LED's are the way to go in a small grow space & MH / HPS for a space 5' x 5' or larger. Any thoughts & comments on this would be appreciated as I'm ordering new seeds next week to start my next grow.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Indeed! Even with the ballast outside the cabinet, there's still too much radiated heat from the bulb.
    I'm not in a position where I can just throw money at it, so I threw science at it.

In my experience, targeted LEDs are superior to CFLs.
    All the power converted to light generates only the frequencies that are processed most efficiently.
    I use 660 nm. red because it's as close as I can get to the peak absorption for cannabis of 657 nm. The Blue is a wider peak. anything from 435 to 465 nm. will do.

And why buy seeds? You have plants in veg.
    If you take 2 cuts from each plant and label them, you can put one of them into 12:12 and know the sex in about a week. If it's female, save the other cut until harvest, If that plant is exceptional at harvest, turn the second cut into a momma plant and it will generate dozens of known female, known quality, cuts for years without buying seeds.
    If the cut is a male, kill the donor and grow out the cuts for the pollen.
    Use that pollen on one or more of the female cuttings.
    That will give you thousands of seeds, and you get to choose the parents.
    That way you still get to harvest the donors at full size and the wee cuttings will make more than enough seeds.
    Pollen chucking if great fun, it's where the real winners come from.

My best advice to new growers is read. Don't believe everything you read, but do read everything and personally test what you can.
    If you read that "Beanstalk bud boomer" will fatten your buds while washing your windows, take 2 identical clones and only apply the snake oil to one of them.
    Then compare. Windows still dirty, and no difference in the bud?
    Now you really know something, yah?
    Read until your eyes bleed, you will become a master.

Aloha,
    Weeze

9. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Next Grow I'll try just the LED's. I'll put the MH / HPS up as I'm not sure whether I want to part with it as I may turn a bedroom into a grow room eventually. As far as taking cuttings from these...well these seeds came out of stuff I bought & it's OK but not the really strong, knock your D in the dirt, Indica that I want. I wonder what the strongest stuff out there is & how hard it is to grow....? As far as I know Gorilla Goo & White Widow are suppose to be at the top or close to it so those were the seeds I was going to buy. Know of anything stronger ?
    As far as reading...Lol....I think I've done more reading in the past 3 months than I have in 20 years combined. Starting on the Grow Bible now. Watch tons of videos on it too.
    I really appreciate your advice. It has pointed me in the right direction a couple of times now. Thanks !!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

You might check out the LeD light that I’m using. It’s adjustable and has two dimmers. One of them is for veg and the other is for bloom. The unit has two built in fans to keep the light cool. It’s called a Max Bloom. You can see pics of it in my two recent posts on indoor growing and grow log. Good growing.

11. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I've been trying to familiarize myself with LED Hood Type Lights by looking on EBay. I was thinking that a 300 watt LED Hood along with my 4 - 45 watt LED Side Spot Lights would probably do the trick....but not quite sure. What has me wondering is the actual size of these LED Hoods...( 8" x 12" x 2" ) It sounds really small so I'm wondering if I'd get away with just 1 or would I need 2 for a 2' x 4' x 6' Tent ? (4 - 6 plants)
    I have 2 Tents so next grow I'm doing 1 Tent in all CFL's & the other in all LED's to see the difference. I already have everything for the CFL Tent so just need the LED Hood & I'm good to go !
    Just need to figure out what size I need ?
    I have seen the max bloom on EBay....but I'll take a second look. Wont buy from EBay as the Hydro store near me has been way cheaper on everything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TomSawyer2112

Well, I wished I could tell you that it’s a good light, but until I see the results from my own grow, I’m just gonna say from the reviews on Amazon, the Maxbloom I have is a real winner. It’s a CREE COB 400 watt and the actual power draw is easily handled by a 1375 UPS power backup power supply. Learned this the hard way when my power went out the other day for about 45 minutes. The UPS kept it running and the fan and the other light bar I made and was still running when the power came back on. We have power outages a lot here in Texas when the storms roll through so I figured it would be a wise investment to have back up power. It at least gives me time to set up my 4500 watt propane generator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

What you are missing here is:
    RAspectrum[1].jpg
    If you target the chlorophyll b curve, all your energy is productive, very little gets wasted. Much more "bhang" for much less "buck".
    Compare that to a CFL grow, watt for watt and you may be pleasantly surprised. I know that I was.
    Aloha,
    Weeze

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TomSawyer2112

Here’s the maxbloom spectrum. 0D14B8E5-C5E0-40DE-B642-5483727064DB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomSawyer2112

Here’s my setup. And I’m using a 24”x48”x60” tent.
    http://boards.cannabis.com/threads/tent-is-almost-complete.226096/#post-2348012