Soil tips

Discussion in 'Basic Growing' started by John does, Jan 22, 2017.

1. John does

John does Registered

My seedlings are in a humidity dome how do I prepare for my soil when they sprout or what is the best soil to start with

2. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

my advice is to get them out of the humidity dome immediately... seedlings do not need this additional human help to survive, and by providing this you immediately make your seedlings weak and unable to handle the outside world without "hardening off" to get out of the humidity dome. If you simply remove the dome at some point later on, they will most certainly die.
    As far as soil goes, it depends on how you wish to grow. There are hundreds of methods to choose from, from totally soilless to a living and biologically active organic soil, each with its own peculiarities and methods specific to dealing with that medium.
    The "best" soil is up for debate... no one will agree and everyone will have their favorites. Mine is Roots Organic 101... a very basic organic soil. Others swear by FoxFarms Ocean Forest as the best soil, but still others will insist that you need to mix it with other products such as their Happy Frog Soil. Others will swear by Promix or any number of other mixtures, and then others will give you recipes to mix up what they consider to be a superior soil. The most fun one to debate is Miracle Grow. It is entirely possible to grow a great crop with MG, but this soil has its quirks too once you start relying on it 12 weeks into a grow. Others will denounce MG, made by Monsanto as the worst thing ever and made by evil people... you never know till you try it and see how it works for you.
    That is the point. You need to find a method that works for you. You need to find a soil that you can afford, get delivered to your house and then work with it to see how it does. My advice to you is to not do as I did and play with commercial soils and synthetic nutrients for 2 or 3 years, and realize right off the start that the vast majority of people who learn about organic living soil and how to manage it with actively aerated compost teas and natural nutrients, never go back to using commercial soils and nutrient lines. It will take you 3-5 months to get this going though, so on your first run you will need to use a good organic base soil, such as the Roots Organic and a good organic nutrient line. Then, find a good recipe for a "Supersoil" (I like Subcool's) and then buy a bunch of additives and components to build your soil for your work after this first run is done. It takes about 3 months for the components to "cook" or compost into the soil, but afterwards you will have a living organic soil that gets better every time you use it, and you can use it over and over again by simply adding back to your compost pile all of the plant debris that you create throughout your grow. I keep two 40 gallon containers full of soil in my garage, always a little damp and with worms living in it, slowly composting away for my next run.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. TLD420

TLD420 Registered+

Fox Farms Ocean Forest is a great place to start for a beginner. If you up pot properly, it will have enough nutes to run at least most of the way through veg without adding anything. I have had good luck with it and it being readily available at pretty much any grow shop makes it any easy acquisition.
    I agree with Emilya though, as you go through a few cycles and try different methods and learn how you like to grow, you will find the best option for your style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tangentweed

tangentweed Registered+

I've been using this exclusively for indoor growing for 5 years.
    Good stuff

• Like Like x 1
  5. DR.O

DR.O Registered

I have a perfect mix for you Dr.O's Universal Growing Medium. 100% organic growing medium NOP OMRI approved ingredients. All you have to do is just ad water. This blend contains all the nutrients for a complete grow cycle no nutrients ever have to added. Just water and TLC. For More Info Contact Dr.O at www.drosnaturalsoil.com or e-mail at gl4393@tds.net

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GaGrown

GaGrown Registered+

This place is full of sales people..Damn strip mall for cannabis..Land Sakes Alive!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

It's a legitimate response to the OP.
    So, I wouldn't call it spam.
    Meh, I'll look into it and see if it can go head to head with FFOF.
    All depends on shipping costs, yah?
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Yikes!
    Got a question doc.
    What does that 40 pound sack represent in volume.
    Just found I can get FFOF through Amazon prime for less than $6 a gallon.

Aloha,
    Wee 'zard

• Like Like x 1
  9. DR.O

DR.O Registered

Weezard: Dr.Os Universal Growing Medium 40# Bag contains approx 15 gals per bag.