Starting anew, considering all LED lighting

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by emilya, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

Greetings everyone! Like a bad penny, I am back.
    About a year ago I got spooked when some people who didn't really know me, knew of my growing operation in a yet illegal state. I shut down operations at my home, quieted down electronically and relocated a small medical grow to a safe house to continue to supply my medical patients and luckily survived without incident.
    Missouri is about to go legal for up to 6 plants and I intend on taking full advantage of it. While we look at applications and insurance and start up money to get a dispensary going in the next 6 months, I need to produce some product in my own home for me, since my last crop that was intended to be a 1 year personal stash, is just about gone.
    It seems that in this year or so that I have been out of the scene, several changes have occurred in the quality and availability of LED lighting. Some of the products are so new on Ebay right now that there are no reviews to be found. I am mostly impressed by one package deal in particular, a 2 pack 1000w full spectrum light system made by Vander Life, for $103 and this is probably the one I am going to get, unless someone scares me away from the product, in this thread. I am hoping that 2 of these will be just fine for a 2x4 tent and if I have a need to fill up a 4x4 tent I am thinking that I would probably buy 4 of these units for that larger space.
    This will be a new learning curve for me, but I am excited to finally be experimenting with LED lighting. I guess I am looking for advice... advice as to why this $103 dual light purchase might not be advisable, and advice as to basic things that I knew to be true in the HID world that will not be true in an LED op. I know that the whole nature of the grow is going to change, and I intend to do as I always have done, to fully document my thoughts, results and methods as I move into this next phase of my learning.
    It is very nice to see that all the spam has been cleaned up here and it appears that everyone is getting along again. Greetings to my friends and also to those whom I have had heated discussions with in the past. I will try to be on my best behavior and stay out of the controversial... but you know me... I probably will not be able to stay out of the doghouse for long.
    Blessings from Emmie's garden!
    Sense Emilya

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

E komo mai!
    That company makes makeup brushes.
    Guess they are expanding.

The 1k. is actually 215 Watts.
    Will outdo a 400W HID.
    And they waste some of that with UV and IR that are really not needed.
    The fans sound loud and they should have put them in series with a thermal switch.
    But, for that price? I might buy one for a friend. (He keeps bugging me to build him one but it's more difficult with impaired vision)
    It'll make a nice "un-birthday present.
    Meh, then he'll want me to repair it. :)

They look solid, but when I do a search, some of their models are "out of stock" and have been for a while with no anticipation date.
    That's a bit of a red flag for me.

Still, you have skills and will be able to do your own repairs.
    As I recall, you should have a bunch of surface mount dies in a drawer somewhere. :)

Good to see you back.
    And coming to the light side. We have photons. :)

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  3. emilya

makeup brushes to LED lighting... oh my. Yep, I was figuring with two of them I would have the equivalent of at least 600w HID, considering PAR and all, and although you mention the IR and UV bulbs as not really needed, I remember that OldMac really believed in that UV. I tried his idea of some small halogen lights to produce it, and I did think that I saw a difference... totally subjective though. At this price, I am willing to give these new lights a try and as you said they seem pretty solid... a zenier on each bulb to keep them all lit if a couple go bad is brilliant, and I like their thinking in that regard. The Chinese are trying hard these days, knowing that the US is becoming a much more competitive market. I like the marketing of the 2 for a bundle price, indeed all their products have bundle prices, and any dispensary purchases could make good advantage of that. It is exactly the time for me to try these guys out and see if I like working with this product/company. Hopefully the out of stock thing is them ramping up into the market and having to match sales with production... time will tell if they make it, and without cutting corners. This highlighted 2 light special I presume is the star of their production line, and the one they are hoping will propel their rise into the rapidly expanding market, so I am expecting it to be of high quality. You can be sure that there will be a review to follow.
    I am glad to be back. I am glad that politics for now has taken a lesser role in my life, and it is now time to reap the rewards of a hard fought campaign to get our proposition in front of the voters. It was fun, but it took all of my time, and now I just want to settle back and grow some incredible pot. I am sitting here surveying my tools of the trade and very excited about my bins of well aged well cooked super soil. I have re-read my books on TLO and am stocking up on the various items needed to make my teas and high brix sprays and am excited to see true organic gardening finally meet LED. You know how sometimes when learning something, you grasp new concepts and insights after you walk away from the day to day of it for a while? I am hoping that I am there.
    I am also hoping that all is well with you, 'sides a bit of old guy eyes and the normal aches and pains. I thought about you as we watched parts of the islands erupting, but I knew you were good with Pele and would have less troubles than many. Good to see you, and hope to hear from many more of our friends.
    Em

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Welcome back, Em. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

It's true, Pele continues to treat me well.

Eyesight is better.
    Dog is still pretty spry for a senior.
    It's age that will get her.
    RSO is still working for me, and the garden runneth over.
    All that's missing is something to kvetch about, yah?

Oh! You might like this;
    A gentleman contacted me last year.
    Said he had followed/lurked Dreaded Hermie's LED build thread.
    Said he learned enough to start his own LED Growlight company.
    Dang!
    Insisted on sending me one of his hi tech kine arrays.
    I half expected the feds, I got a very interesting package. ;)
    It's called Magicalgrowth and it's unique.
    You can program the hue, and intensity, in 15 minute intervals over 24 hours
    It has 4 of those timer channels so you can really experiment.
    And a remote control to program it.
    (Mahalo William.)
    Never would have bought one for myself. (It retails for about $ 1k.)
    And it's way more light than I actually need.
    Now I get to experiment to my heart's content, and beyond.
    Like I said, Pele likes me. :)

You did the smart thing by shutting down for a while.
    Never ignore your gut.

I thought about you just last week.
    Was going through my genetics and decided to run some Pfist .
    Just had a lab test of my favorite Sativa and found it had no CBD.
    As I recall, Pfist will kill pain, and not give you the munchies.
    I'm thinking I'll have it tested for CBD content. My wife loves it.
    So, mahalo from us. :)

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
  6. emilya

So last I heard, you didn't think the RSO was doing it for you, but you conceded that your problem was the slowest growing of them all, and you would be fine. It sounds like your numbers improved since then... do tell. I thought dog was a gone'er too... it seems that all is, as we say here in Missouri, mo better.
    Things are mo better here too. Susie is in full remission and Dad, although now diagnosed a diabetic at 60, has lost weight and gotten much more active... the campaign and the RSO have been good for him. I am hoping to keep him around for a while longer. Joyce and I have been living the life, and getting ready to stop fighting that glass ceiling and make some money in this new industry. I can't see a downside... this is going to be a hoot. :)

Emmers

7. emilya

What have you learned by having this awesome ability to control hue at 15 min intervals? I bet you could get the girls dancing if you played it right. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. emilya

That is one of our favorites too. I have named it Rusted Relief and plan on having a large stock of it someday.

9. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

Disco lights for cannabis. Hahaha!

10. Gone Camping

Gone Camping Registered+

Hello Em…

I'm not an educated LED user ( that would be Wee' ) but I did some reading on a certain forum and found a product that several were using with great results. And many more buying over a short period of time. I didn't need to necessarily educate myself to make a purchase.. I don't have the time to be honest. I figured those experienced growers were the best honest review i'd find.

Anyway, take a look here. www.cobshop.net I came across a comp where a bud pic could win ya a single light.. I won one. Shortly after I purchased and converted my 4x4 to LED. There's a small learning curve going to LED they say, and i'm just getting into it.

Just thought i'd toss the option out there. Congrats on the recent changes and I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Indeed. Harvest day night fever.

Fer instance.
    Heavy red and far red at arbitrary dawn and dusk will accelerate ripening. Blue heavy during electric noon will shorten internodes and widen leaves.
    Jack up the 660 if you want taller.

Adding UV makes no difference.
    Blocking UV makes for higher trich density.
    My greenhouse blocks UV. I put some in the sun and some under the filter and see the filtered girls looking noticeably healthier.
    And when I whip out the scope I see ~ 30% more capitate glands and less empty trichs.
    Tried messing with the spectral blend to affect the terpenes to no avail.
    Seems it's genetic.
    But I can make them stink more with all day full intensity.

I do all of my flowering outdoors now so my end effect data is lacking.
    However, if you use stop motion photography?
    Yes, you can make them dance. :)

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. raymont

raymont Registered+

hlg 2.jpg My latest venture is the Quantum boards. Very impressed. Especially price. 240 true watts . From China 200. 325 in USA. Bought first in USA. Will compare to Chinese.

• Like Like x 1
  13. raymont

raymont Registered+

Talked to Chinese Supplier. Need to talk to admin re: advertising but Im planning to start selling quantums myself. Think I can bring a better price to the growers. Ive got some capital. Im a bored retiree....products looking good with minimum warrantee issues. Samsung is quality.

• Like Like x 1
  14. raymont

raymont Registered+

Should I contact a mod? Need to speak to someone about sponsorship/advertising

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Good luck with that. I just browsed the staff members. some have not logged in for a year ant Angie's planet , the most active, has not looked in for a month. Might try Weedmaps.com and ask.

16. Deville-M

Deville-M Registered+

This year, QB and other white spectrum light such as UnitFarm grow bar become popular. When we choose led lights, I think it is very important to see its draw power, spectrum, warranty, certification and how long this brand or company has produced led light. I knew some led brands that started to sell led 10 years ago and said they offered 5--7 years warranty, now most of these companies can not be found.

17. emilya

Those who are timid, never make great advances.
    The concept of PAR shows me that LED light is focused in the spectrums that plants need, without wasting energy producing white light which is composed of many points on the spectrum that are ignored by the plants. I am also looking at the entry price of getting into LED today and find that for $89 I can get the equivalent of a 400w HID for a fraction of the cost of an inverter, a hood, cooling and a light that is going to give me several months of life before needing to be replaced. When we talk about the power savings that I will enjoy over any HID light system as well as the 15 year lifespan, it becomes a no brainer.
    Yes, I know these are new companies without a track record and chances are that years down the line if one of these units blows up, the company and/or warranty will no longer be available. At $89 total replacement cost, this does not concern me in the least... I am fully willing to give this a try.
    The science, and several of the people that I know who use LED, show me that with proper use one can grow superior plants with LED light. I have seen people burn the heck out of young plants with LED, so I know the light is plenty strong, even too strong in the wrong hands. Science again comes into play when I consider the penetrating power of red and blue light through green leaves... no wonder plants stay short and grow vigorously down below the 1.5' penetration point. If there ever was a situation to use side lighting, I believe LED and its penetrating power will show the way, with the right experimenter documenting her work as she goes. I have done HID and been very successful. Now what is needed is someone to apply the same rigor to a scientific LED grow, and have the experience to know when something is acting differently than in a traditional grow. If LED is actually that superior, I want to prove it... and forever be done with the crowd who ridicule the idea. Trust me... if LED is so superior, I will know it by the end of my first run, and I will be documenting my findings as I go.
    Stay tuned... Legal date is December 6.
    M

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. emilya

Are those switchable? My perfect light would have some way to go red or blue or both. What sort of price point do you think you are looking at?

19. raymont

raymont Registered+

The quantum boards are very specific to kelvin numbers. Switching went away with the blurples. I would select a 3000k light. It will cover all the bases in light frequencies. Veg and grow.The one I just ordered even has IR. Although Im not a believer in IR myself. I purchased an HLG light and went to Alibaba and found same light at 30% less. So Im going to be testing it for longevity. If you'd like a link to start looking into it I can do ..(I realize China and warrantee can be an issue.) 325 USA...210 China,,,240 watts.

20. raymont

raymont Registered+

Which light are you looking into for 89.00?