Starting growing, help please!

Discussion in 'Basic Growing' started by coyote777, Feb 12, 2017.

1. coyote777

coyote777 Registered

Hello all.

I am a new grower (but not a young grower lol) and this my first post on this forum so I hope I am not bothering all you experienced growers with a lot of basic questions. I really want my first grow to be ok and not a disaster. I will tell you what I have and what I have planned to do after a lot of reading, but PLEASE set me straight if I am not on the right track. I plan to grow both indoor and in a small shadehouse I have outside. My indoor area is 20" × 33" = 4 sq ft. I have 2 x 150w metal halide 4200k lights. I have 12 seedlings a couple of which I have just transplanted into small pots. The seeds are feminised but are of unknown strains. I had the idea of growing them in the shadehouse and extending the photoperiod with my indoor lights as I live in Australia and we are in our last month of summer, and the days are getting shorter. I was going to get the plants to veg using combo of sun and lights, then when they are mature enough keep them out in the shadehouse and let our shortening days trigger flowering. First question - is this a good approach?

Next, because I don't know what strains I have, I had the idea of tagging each plant, and before flowering them, taking a clone of each. I would then harvest and cure all and only keep the clones that produced the best quality.

Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance for your assistance

2. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

As long as the temperature in the shade house is high enough, I don't see a problem.
    Many folks here in the milder parts of the US run a winter crop. Yield will be lower, obviously. But, to select the best plants for future runs, a solid plan. :twocents:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. coyote777

coyote777 Registered

Thanks EvilCartman, good to know my research has not been in vain.

4. theweedsneeds

theweedsneeds Registered+

First thing I would suggest is don't have any plans for these plants and don't expect anything out of them just deal with it day by day they'll do their thing and you'll be happier than ever as long as nothing tragic happens pest control is something you should plan for tho besides that food water and sun maybe a plucking every now and then they'll be good another thing I kinda learned how to grow on this site ask all the questions you'd like I'm sure me or anyone else Here will help you out it's always good to do your own research and also many hours of reading and watching videos Pshhhhh after a season you'll be the best grower :doublethumbs: haha good luck

5. coyote777

coyote777 Registered

Thanks theweedsneeds, appreciate the advice

6. theweedsneeds

theweedsneeds Registered+

You should check out my grows that I have kinda documented on here maybe they can help you some also

7. coyote777

coyote777 Registered

Thanks theweedsneeds, I will. Where are they located?