The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 has passed congress!

Discussion in 'Legal' started by emilya, Dec 12, 2018.

1. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

The US House and Senate have now both passed the Hemp Bill of 2018 and it now awaits signing by Trump to become law. The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 will remove hemp (defined as cannabis with less than 0.3% THC) from the Schedule 1 controlled substances list and make it an ordinary agricultural commodity. Trump is expected to sign the bill into law.
    One giant step for legalization of Cannabis...

• Like Like x 1
  2. irydyum

irydyum Registered+

I have heard many different interpretations of what this actually "means" for the industry as a whole. I don't believe the bill de-lists CBD, but I may be wrong. Haven't had a chance to read it. Would love to hear more specificity if you have any knowledge on it.

At least it appears we are trending in the right direction.

:thumbsup:
    Iry

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Isn't Hemp un-smokable ? Or at the least … it wont get you high. Isn't it used more for making textiles such as Rope, Clothing & Rags ? I see no reason it should not be legal as you can't get a buzz from it so it's useless to stoners from what I've heard. I know they used it to make ropes for the military during WW2. Doesn't sound like anything I would care to grow. If it's a step in the right direction it's a fairly small one. We'll have to vote in someone like Bernie Sanders if we are ever going to get Real Weed Legalized across the entire U.S. I don't think Trump will ever legalize it completely because before he was president he was outspoken to be against it.
    Sanders wanted it to be legal. Unfortunately, he was sort of a flake on most other issues.
    The funny part of all this is …. I want it to be legal for me, but I really hope my son never touches the stuff. After smoking so much for so many years I actually get sick as hell when I don't smoke it. I also feel it's made me a slow thinker. I use to be quick at figuring things out & coming up with alternative methods of doing things. I find myself getting confused a lot more these days. I do smoke a lot. Probably 1 oz. per week since 1999. It seems I started noticing these effects on me about 5 years ago. Oh well, I'm at the age of I Don't Care Anymore; so I'll continue to be a pothead till I die. Hell, I aint no quitter !!!
    Never - the - less, I can see both … Good & Bad reasons for legalizing it.

4. emilya

Hemp is one of the most useful plants on the planet. It doesnt just make durable clothing, rope and paper, but it can also make incredibly strong plastics, building fillers... and it in one season can reclaim a fallow field just by sowing hemp and tilling it over as it matures. Hemp compared to timber can make 20x the amount of paper per square acre and do it 200x faster. Hemp seed can be pressed and the oil can be used without refining to run simple engines and lamps. The list of uses for hemp go on and on. I wrote a paper defending a position that if it were not for the hemp prohibition in the 1920's and the subsequent loss of at least 1/3 of the expanding agricultural sector, we would not have had the great depression. The industries that will spring up around the hemp industry are going to revitalize this economy in ways we are yet to discover.

5. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

It surely has many uses. Just not what I want to grow. All I'm saying is that's why Trump doesn't mind it being legal ... it wont get you high. If it did .... Trump would not sign the bill. I just don't think legalizing Hemp has any influence at all on Cannabis becoming legal. I vote Willie Nelson for U.S. President !!! Then we will get somewhere.... LOL.
    So has recycled plastic bottles revitalized the economy ? You can make Clothes, Rope, paper, etc. out of them too. Maybe it has ... I don't really know. But I can't see any difference economy wise.
    What I do notice because of working in the printing industry is the recycled paper crap that is terrible to work with. Hopefully, Hemp paper will replace recycled paper.

6. emilya

I predict that it will, being of much higher quality, longer lasting and much cheaper to produce than recycling.

7. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I have Tourette's Syndrome, and using CBD is of great importance to me. And yes, I would smoke it, because CBD oil cost a small fortune when I could just grow and smoke it. I suppose most CBD strains with less than 1% THC is borderline on what would be technically legal as "hemp", but I would be hard pressed to think a judge would convict someone for smoking weed with less than half a percent THC.

• Agree Agree x 2