The Proper way to water a potted plant

Discussion in 'Basic Growing' started by emilya, May 18, 2014.

1. outside

outside Registered+

That is what i was wanting to hear. Thank you.

2. Liberty420

Liberty420 Registered+

Wow! What a brilliant read, that's really helped me a lot. One thing I'm not sure of is that is it okay for some roots to sit at the top of the soil? Some of mine seem to do it at times especially after watering (the wrong way) which will now be corrected :)

3. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

Its not going to hurt anything really, the roots exposed to light and air will harden off and protect themselves, but my personal preference in dealing with this is to add more soil on top to cover them up when I can. I had a plant this season that I started in too tall of a 1 gal container and it didnt end up fitting down in my final container without some of the roots sticking up at the top. As an experiment I let her go like this, and things turned out fine. She wasn't a great producer, but she did produce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Liberty420

Liberty420 Registered+

Ah I see thank you

5. likesthebong

likesthebong Registered+

Great info can't get enough from emilya!

• Like Like x 1
  6. outside

outside Registered+

Using Emilyas method of watering. This is my rootball moving from a 7 to 15 gallon pot outside... great advice. Thank you. Things looking good.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. emilya

great job!

8. outside

outside Registered+

When you first start the regime and fear you need to water, fight the urge, even on hot days. I can tell you watering the perimeter of the plant with most of the water does wonders. Emilya you are a genius. my girls thank you

• Like Like x 1
  9. likesthebong

likesthebong Registered+

I really wish I took a pic of my root ball when I repotted It was pretty awesome ....first thing I learned here was Emilyas watering system !....repotting again very soon!

• Like Like x 1
  10. likesthebong

likesthebong Registered+

So I decided to go home for lunch today and kill the Boy Scout... This time I took a picture of the roots

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Emilya I always learn something new from you. Amazing....

• Like Like x 1
  12. outtahouse

outtahouse Registered

Thank you for the information on watering plants. I am an outdoor grower and would appreciate any insights on watering outdoor plants in a garden. Currently, I give them rain water from my rain barrel if it doesn't rain. Usually, after 2 days of no rain. I add molasses to water every week, but I am totally organic. The plants are healthy and tall, about 6 feet. This is my second grow, but I am still in the learning process. I can hardly wait until next year. I am not a fan of doing an indoor grow, but I am building a green house. So stay tuned.......

• Like Like x 1
  13. shelton abbey

shelton abbey Registered+

great thread guys learning lots, emilya your a font of knowledge , thank you

• Like Like x 1
  14. VrginGrowr

VrginGrowr Registered+

This was very informative for me emilya thanks for posting things like this for nubes like me i will start to look at how i water my plants.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tinkerfarms

Tinkerfarms Registered+

Omg that is alot of roots

16. Tinkerfarms

Tinkerfarms Registered+

I have read and am going to try it the next time i have to water :doublethumbs: I want roots like Dutch Pimp:doublethumbs::thumbsup:

17. Tinkerfarms

Tinkerfarms Registered+

Ok so just a quick few questions cause I really want to learn how to do this..
    This is the first time you ever water the pot right?
    And this is every time after correct?

18. emilya

no, every time. First you attempt to wet the entire top of the rootball, and after approximately half of the water that I usually use is applied in this way, then I go to the second method and water from the edges, actively trying to move the soil from the outside to the middle of the root ball.
    This is the last bit of the process that is done every time, attempting to make the outside edges the wettest parts of the container. The roots will move toward the water, and you want the roots to try to move horizontally, filling in the voids in the middle of the rootball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Tinkerfarms

Tinkerfarms Registered+

Ok got it thanks !

20. Esteban1

Esteban1 Registered+

Know the response is way late in this burned out discussion but I ain't showing u guys nutt'n under my girls hoods! Emilia nice basic info on watering. Everyone deserves a little credit here for input. Your writing dictates a fairly vast knowledge of horticulture. As simple as it appears watering a plant confined to pots need this attention .

• Like Like x 1