The unofficial thread on Passing On Some knowledge to a younger cannabis user

Discussion in 'CANNABIS.COM Lounge' started by sundance., Jun 2, 2015.

1. sundance.

sundance. Registered+ Staff Member

The unofficial thread on Passing On Some knowledge to a younger cannabis user!

Lets hear the stories and knowledge veteran cannabis use

• Like Like x 5
  2. The Widow White

The Widow White Registered+

You go Sundance!! Must've been reading my mind. LOL I've been thinking about something like this for weeks now, but figured there was a thread out there already. I don't really consider myself a veteran, but helping these new growers understand the very basics is a big deal and a thread covering just that is an excellent idea my friend.

1. Germinating seed: Many ways out there to do it. This is how I do it. I place my seeds between layers of paper toweling (one towel, just folded) and dampen them with water. I put them in a cool dark place for about 3 days and 99.9% of the time (assuming a good seed) I have seeds ready to go into dirt after the 3 days. Once they have popped, I use tweezers to VERY CAREFULLY transfer them into the grow media (I use Roots Organics Original...because it's a MJ growing soil and has worked well for me) in a Solo cup...sprinkling a light layer of soil on top of the seed. I then place the cups under my veg lighting (T5 CFL is what I used for veg) and lightly water them in with water adjusted to a pH level of 6.5 (big-time important). The next step is the tricky part!! LEAVE THEM ALONE UNTIL THE CUP IS ALMOST TOTALLY DRIED OUT BEFORE YOU WATER AGAIN. This forces the plant to search the container it is in for water, forcing the roots to fill the entire container and creating a healthy and strong root system. At this point, if your lighting is such that you won't burn the young seedlings, placing them closer to the light will prevent stretching and them becoming spindly most of the time. Vegging under CFLs will allow you to get your plants right up close to the lights without them burning...but other lights can be much hotter. You can use the hand test to check for lights being too hot by holding your hand under the light at the level of the top of the plant for 10 seconds. If it doesn't burn your hands, your plants are good to go at that height. Continue this process until your seedlings become as large or larger than the Solo cup...then up pot to 1 gal. pots with fresh soil. Notice that I have given NO nutrients yet. Shouldn't need to even begin to worry about nutrients (assuming you are using a proper soil...and formulated grow soil is the best to work with here if you can get it), until the plants are several weeks into the 1 gallon pots.

2. pH of liquids: The pH level of the liquids you put into your plants is a HUGE deal. I do soil grows and the optimum level is 6.5. If I mix feeds, before they go into the plant, I adjust the pH to 6.5...and any water going in is also adjusted to this level. If you're not checking and managing the pH of your water and feeds, you'll end up with nutrient lockup and your plant(s) can't take in nutrients. This is no fun and totally avoidable. A pH pen can be purchased for around $50 and it's worth every penny to get one.

3. Watering: Only water when your pots have dried out almost completely...for reasons stated in #1.

4. Nutrients: Using a MJ growing soil loaded with the proper nutrients that the plant needs, will eliminate the need for nutes until your plants have had time to become well established with a strong root system. Adding nutrients to young seedlings can be very risky as they are quite easy to burn at this stage. Once you start giving them, keep in mind that you can't take it back out once you've put it in, so be conservative. You can up your levels as needed, but once you've fried them, it's too late.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The Widow White

#5. Veg cycle: The longer you veg a plant, the bigger and stronger it should become...thus a larger yield at the end of flower. I try to veg mine as long as I can before I put them into flower. You can usually "sex" your plant at around 8 to 9 weeks without having to run some clones through a flower cycle to find out whether you're dealing with males. How to "sex" a plant is very easy once you understand what you should be seeing for a female and what you will see for a male. The difference is very distinct once they have reached that magic age and they show their sex. I Googled..."Sexing a cannabis plant," and found some super easy to understand diagrams of what one must look for to be able to tell male from female. There are also some threads on the forum discussing this...with pics, so you can see the difference. This is super important, especially if you're not sure about the origin of your seeds or when working with bag seeds. As soon as you identify a male, get it far away from your females or you will have seeds. Most people veg under CFLs since they don't emit a lot of heat, but other lights can be used for veg as well. Doing some reading up on grow lighting is something every new grower should do. Having a good understanding of the different types of lights out there that are available and their optimal uses is a must. Also, any topping is usually done in the veg stage. Once you put them into flower, the less stress the plant gets, the better it will do. So prep that plant BEFORE you put it into flower. Whacking on them once they've been moved in for flowering is not good to do, IMO. You want those plants to suffer the least stress possible so they will produce more.

#6. Flowering: Changing the light cycle is what throws your plants into flower. Once you have vegged them long enough to get them to the proper size and have topped them like you want them, putting them under flower lighting and changing the light cycle to 12 on/12 off will start the budding process. It will usually be a week or a little more after putting them into flower before you will see buds forming. Each particular strain has a projected maturity time, but plants are like children and don't all act the same...to say the least. You'll need a loupe (which is a grower's magnifying glass basically) to watch the trichomes as they go through their stages and eventually turn that beautiful amber color we all wait to see to signify harvest time.

#7. Air movement: Keeping good air movement is another MUST when growing. This strengthens your plants and inhibits mold/mildew growth as well as dispersing the heat to prevent any burning to plants. The temperature in your flower room should stay around 78 degrees. Too much heat and your girls will go dormant. Keep good air movement on your vegging plants and your flowering plants from beginning to end.

I'm sure there is more to add, but I'll have to stop and think for a few. LOL

TWW

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Widow White

#8. Expense: One more thing I would like to hit on before I get off here and move on, is the expense of growing. If you're wealthy, you can spend tons of money on doing this. But if you're like most of us, money is tough to come by and coming up with thousands to set one of these babies up is not an option. But it's been my experience so far that "cheaping out" on your setup is usually not the way to go, especially for the beginner. Create the best quality setup that you can. It might take you a little longer to get it together the way you want, but it typically pays off in the end. Most of the time, super cheap stuff is just that..."super cheap stuff," and won't work right or doesn't do the job it claimed in the ad. Try to buy equipment that you KNOW is of decent quality. This world is full of people just sitting there trying to get you to be stupid and spend your hard-earned money on their stuff...just to sell you substandard merchandise. If you're going to grow, try to create the best quality setup that you can afford. Just don't go into this with "cheap" being the first word on your "important" list. You'll be stressed to death before you get even one bud to smoke. LOL Now don't get me wrong here. Lots and lots of people have created successful grows with very little expense, but most of the time these are people who have been around the growing world for a long time and have deep knowledge of growing, the plant and how to skirt some of the expense. The new grower typically knows very little when starting out and is easily taken advantage of in many cases.

#9. Expectations: Just remember that anything worth doing takes time and hard work. If you're willing to put those two things into growing MJ, you'll eventually become good at it. It is NOT something that you throw together and become good at overnight. Soil grows are usually much easier and better for the new grower since you are devoting your attention to growing the plant without throwing in all the issues with managing a hydro system at the same time. Most new growers with little to no experience who start off with hydro tend to have major issues and it delays their whole operation because they have to learn how to grow the plant AND how to manage and operate a hydroponics system. I'm not saying it can't be done, because it has. But most will tell you that it took some time before they could work out all the kinks and get it up and rolling. This is a process and doesn't happen quickly to start with. I've been going now for around 19 months and I still learn something new every day. Scour this forum for valuable advice from experienced growers. Find someone who is good at it and has a setup similar to what you're using or planning to use, and follow their journals/logs closely. Do your best and be realistic regarding what you expect until you get a couple of grows under your belt. Eventually, like most everything, it all starts to make more sense and come together and your confidence builds. I've always been a lover of gardening, but I've had a ton of fun learning how to do this. Having the product is wonderful, but it's the growing part of it that I thoroughly enjoy. Any help you need is here. Wonderful people staff this forum just to be there for others who need help, so don't hesitate to come here for that help if you need it. I can't even begin to tell you how their kindness and knowledge has made an impact on my grow! Good luck and happy growing!!

TWW

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. The Widow White

Oh man....I didn't really read the title Sundance...."users." Can you zap this and get rid of it or stick it somewhere that it is relevant? I just breezed right over the title of the thread and assumed this was GROW advice for the newbie. LOL Man, you shouldn't get up early early in the morning and smoke a bowl and then start messing with this stuff. LOL Move it, delete it, whatever you want to do with it...but I'm sorry for taking up all this space and it not being the correct topic!

TWW

• Like Like x 3
  6. sundance.

sundance. Registered+ Staff Member

This is ok, keep all tips coming growing or medicating or using recreationally.
    All knowledge I am sure the younger users to the cannabis community will appreciate!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

I'd say that insuring that ones meds are safe to ingest, (growing your own), is excellent knowledge to pass on to new users.
    Very well done, W.W.
    Makalo,
    Wee

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Third-Eye Bud

Third-Eye Bud Registered

HELP! NEED ADVICE FROM EXPERTS. So just recently I dropped my plastic pot with the 2 day old seedling (Already germinated) in it and I was feaking out. So I picked up the seed with tweezers and layed it out for 5 mins and grabbed a different pot and put fresh soil and water it until moisten. Later I picked up the seed with the tweezers and dropped the seed with taproot facing down (3/4 of an inch long). Then I put a plastic see through cup on top so it could be humid. Will it pull through or there's no chance of it surviving.

9. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

There's a good chance it will survive.
    Cannabis is a tough weed.

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. painretreat

painretreat Registered+

As a novice user in 2008, I've learned plenty in "how to use" the medication. Especially, terminology of Cannabis. If people knew all the work it is, they'd just legalize it!

Rusty asked me once if I "washed" my cannabis. Not knowing what he meant, I asked with what kind of detergent. What he meant was preparing the bud to smoke. Cutting, removing excess non-bud material and grinding it. Few other things, just can't recall right now.:Rasta: pr

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

LOL!
    Are you sure he didn't ask if you "cleaned" it?

The term that threw me was "flushed".
    Thought it had something to do with evidence tampering. :D

Aloha,
    Weeze

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Sorry I'm new to the forums, but I thought I'd chime in....
    *** I know it's hard not to brag about your beautiful ladies! But DONT! Don't let others in or near your garden, I wouldn't even tell others that you grow MJ! From my experience you can't know who and who NOT to trust..
    I'm not saying you can't trust anyone; example- husband, wife, sister, brother, BEST friend. But just be careful, please...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Esteban1

Esteban1 Registered+

Yep, it's safe to say that envy/jealousy will rule & at the end of the day you'll certainly go down.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tj hendrian

tj hendrian Registered+

Load a bowl of the buds hairs and create Smoking Pistils. PH helps plants absorb nutrients better,5.5-6.5. I like 5.7 personally so my plants can absorb everything easily. Plants can be overwatered! wait until the plants soil dries out otherwise you will stunt and possiblely even kill your plant. Sativas can handle heat a lot better then the indicas but Indicas can handle cold and high elevation better. The Strain Alaskan Ice has a genetic disease that makes the leaves turn halfway white. Be careful because the disease can transfer to other plants through snips. 14+ hours is vegging, 14- hours is flowering. If you plan on doing an outdoor grow, I recommend taking your clones around the end of March. They will finish 12 ft tall ganjas even in Colorado! Before I cut my plants down, I throw them in the dark for 72 hours and mine trichomes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

you mostly had me until the 3 days of dark at the end... and the general statement about ph that didnt specify if you were talking about soil at 6.3-6.8 or hydro at 5.5-6.1. 5.7 in soil is not correct, sorry. I am still waiting for a side by side test to prove this myth is true, until then, I prefer to give them the light that they need right up to the end... and I still get lots of trichomes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. smello1

smello1 Registered+

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. smello1

smello1 Registered+

..........!!@#&&@!!????!!.......thieves!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. growdemon

growdemon Registered+

hahaha.. too funny.. I never check my PH.. " never ever have or want to waste the time trying to adjust" especially using soil..it's a

WEED..

just good old "USA" tap water... Here!

maybe in other countries, it could be more of a concern.

DSCF6222.JPG DSCF6226.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  19. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

it does seem that some people have better water than others, or their combination of soil and whatever seems to mix really well with their water... here at my house, as soon as my ph gets out of range, I start having deficiency problems. I also read gardening experts talk about the importance of ph, and since they are experts and random people on the web claiming that ph is unimportant are not, I tend to go with the recognized experts. Growdemon, it may work fine for you and the soils you have put together, but when using straight fox farm ocean forest and good old missouri tap water, not adjusting to the proper ph range does NOT work for me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. redtails

redtails Registered+

I've been thinking about the dark at the end debate for a little while lately...Subcool recommends 2 days darkness to bring out the terpene maturity. I can kind of see that as they degrade easier than THC, so intense lighting and that little bump in heat could be slightly detrimental to them. Now if it's true, one would only need to experiment to find out how long a period of darkness is too long and causes a loss of weight/size...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1