Trying to figure out pH & PPM Meters so I can add correct nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Information' started by Buds Buddy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Ok All,
    I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to know what to add as far as nutrients are concerned.
    I have a TDS / PPM Meter & my Tap Water reads 185 on the PPM & the temp 24 Celcius ( not sure what that is in degrees).
    My pH tester I have to hold the Cal button down to get a reading at all or it goes all over the place. Is it suppose to work like this ? I bought someone's equipment & got no instructions on how to use any of it. When I hold the Cal button I get a reading of 686....I'm guessing it means 6.86 ???
    I've been using a 30-10-10 Fertilizer about every 4th watering & only watering about 5 times every 2 weeks.
    My plants are now in 6.5 Gallon Pots so I use about a 1/2 gallon each watering on each plant.
    Anyways some of the lower leaves are getting yellow & there's yellowing at some of the tips higher up. A few of the lower leaves have died off & I'm noticing some yellowing in the leaf veins.
    The Fertilizer is 30-10-10 (it's 3% Ammoniacal & 27% Urea Nitrogen / 10% Phosphate / 10% Soluble Potash )
    (.02% Boron / .07% Copper / .325% Iron / .05% Manganese / .07% Zinc).
    I grow 4-Plants in a 2x4x6 Tent with a 400 Watt MH Tube Light & 2-45 Watt LED side lights. I use a Carbon Filter & Fan. My lighting is cooled by 2-6" inline fans & my tent is cooled by a small home Humidifier & a Clip on 6" fan. My tent temps with lights on have reached 84 degrees but usually stay closer to 80 - 82 degrees with 40% - 60% Humidity (Daytime). With lights off temp drops to about 75 degrees (night time). Next grow...lights at night & dark during day as I'm in AZ. & houses get too hot when summer comes. Hard to cool a house when it's 120 degrees outside.
    Anyways, I was thinking about switching my nutrients to the Flora Series (Flora Micro / Flora Grow / Flora Bloom & adding CaliMagic. Is this a Good idea or a NO ???
    OK....you know what I got & what my problems are so any & all help is deeply appreciated. I have too much invested to lose these plants (already 2' tall or more & 3-4 weeks away from Flower stage). Please Help if you can .....Thanks !!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dutch Pimp

Dutch Pimp Up in Smoke

Next time veg in smaller pots, transplant into bigger pots after their show their sex.

I start off in 18 ounce cups for 3 weeks. transplant to 6 inch pots & put into flower mode when they are about 18 inches tall.

Once they show their sex..I transplant to 8 or 10 inch pots.

IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0473.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. irydyum

irydyum Registered+

Definitely sounds like your meter is not behaving properly. Should not have to hit Cal to get a reading. What brand is it?

Yellowing of some lower growth can be normal, especially as plants get larger. It's prioritizing where to spend energy based on light intensity, the further away from the light, the less priority.

If they're already 2' tall, plus the container height, I'd be careful vegging for another 3-4 weeks. They will likely double in size when you trigger flower. If they're over 3 feet, and you're working in a tent, well..... I'm sure you can see the potential issue there.

Happy growing

Iry

4. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

I wasn't using the meter correctly. I didn't know you had to set it down & wait for the numbers to quit flashing before putting it in water. Had to watch a video on how to use it as I had no instructions. It works right now.
    My biggest plant is 3' & the other 3 plants are about 2'. I went ahead and put them in Flower last night. I may end up using one of my bathrooms if the plants get too big this time. Next time....I'll go into flower sooner. 1st grow...so live & learn. I need to learn enough this time though as I'm planning to turn the extra bedroom into a grow room with about a dozen plants at once. Not sure how many plants I'll need to produce at least 5 - lbs. each harvest....but that's my goal. 5-lbs. 3x's per year. In a bedroom I think I can handle 5' - 6' plants & hoping that will do the trick.
    I'm wondering if I'd be better off doing a Scrog set up ???
    Also wondering if I should continue topping at all during flower ? I heard or read that you still top the 1st 2 weeks of flower. Is this correct ? Sure don't want to screw things up at this point.
    Thank you for your help.
    I did tape black plastic garbage bags around the 2 - clear Rubbermaid containers. I have a dozen 1/2" holes drilled in the bottoms for air & drainage.
    Well I'm going to hope for the best & that these are females as these were seeds I got out of my stuff over the past 6 months.

• Like Like x 1