PAX2 Vaporizer Pass Your Drug Test

Where does the word "pot" come from?

Discussion in 'CANNABIS.COM Lounge' started by theamazingkane, Mar 14, 2007.

1. theamazingkane

theamazingkane Registered+

I had an odd thought today while walking around on campus. I was thinking about how some of my friends and other people that I know jokingly refer to marijuana as "the pot," and how a lot of people who don't like marijuana or people who tend to think that it's the devils drug call it "pot."

But where the hell did the word "pot" come from? I've heard people refer to marijuana as weed (most common usage probably), reefer, ganja etc. and even though I've never personally heard people use terms like grass, doobies, dope, maryjane, etc., I know that at some point people refered to marijuana by these names as well. Just by looking at the names, I can see the obvious connection to marijuana, but POT?!?! I just don't see the connection.

So, anyone here seem to know where the term comes from and about when it was first used? I'm really curious, this has been on my mind all day.
  2. robert42

robert42 Registered+

Its spanish i beleive... im not 100% sure of its origins
  3. Jderringer

Jderringer Registered+

It's short for "potiguaya", which is "marijuana leaves" in the mexican dialect of spanish.
    • Like Like x 10
  4. mowie wowie

mowie wowie Registered+

wow, who woulda known...
  5. BlazinTreesX3

BlazinTreesX3 Registered+

Him and deserves Rep up the ass from me for that one.
  6. slpntrx5

slpntrx5 Registered+

+ rep

"damn, *****, where'd you go, weed college?" :Rasta:
  7. Frivolous248

Frivolous248 Registered+

how the hell did white people figure this out?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. theamazingkane

Wow, I wasn't expecting the answer to be so succinct. I figured it was some obscure slang derivitive, but that's cool that it actually has cultural meaning.

thnx man :thumbsup:
  9. FreeVenice

FreeVenice Registered+

I always thought it was "pot" because of that "pass the dutchy" song. . . lol, I'm lame, I even know spanish. . .lol
  10. Breukelen advocaat

Breukelen advocaat Registered+

There is no definitive proof that “pot” comes from potiguaya, or other Spanish words. A very old word for marijuana is “tea” (I've only heard one person call it that, many years ago), and users may have associated the word “pot” with the word. Others have suggested that it is a potted plant, or that it can be smoked in a pipe with a “pot bowl“. The jury is out on this one.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  11. theamazingkane

Damn, I guess the answer isn't so simple.
  12. dark0ne

dark0ne Registered+

The song isn't about Dutchys like dutch masters. It's about a dutchy (doo-ch-e) pan. people in jamaca used it to cook with, and it gets passed arround the table. that song was written by a bunch of 10 year olds.

(back on topic)
    I noticed that the word "POT" wasn't said mutch till the 60's and 70's. before that people called it reefer. mabey it was do to the rising drug war that people needed a new code to call it buy, and being that most of the weed that came into the country in the 60's and 70's came from south america, it's easy to see were they might have gotten the name.
  13. TheSmokingMonkey

TheSmokingMonkey Registered+

Maybe because it's the TOP of the plant... and that's POT spelled backwards.

lol. I have nothing to offer this debate.
  14. timothylearyisdead

timothylearyisdead Registered+

Actually, that song wasn't written by a bunch of ten year olds. They (Musical Youth)did a cover of that song originally done by The Mighty Diamonds. They had to change the title and the lyrics from "pass the kutchie" to pass the dutchie" because in Jamiaca a kutchie is a marijuana pipe of some sort, so they couldn't have little kids singing about that. Just had to throw that out there.

BTW have you ever noticed only people that DON'T smoke call marijuana "pot"?
  15. dark0ne

dark0ne Registered+

slang is probably a big part of it. i have heard people call it alot of stuff... bleezy is a first but thats my point, in different times the youth used different words for slang. just think in the future people are going to be reaserching why we were saying fo-shizzle, and crunk. just like now were looking at 5,000 year old stone tablets going is this the king or god, or a king that thought he was god.
  16. Reefer Rogue

Reefer Rogue Registered+

Loads of people that blaze call it pot aswell.

Like it's been said i'm pretty sure it's derived from potiguaya.
  17. Jderringer

Jderringer Registered+

Thanx for the rep points! No weed college for me... I just have what I like to call "a very complete incomplete education." I like to learn stuff just for the sake of learning, kinda like a hobby. That makes me a virtual receptacle of otherwise useless knowledge! :bong:
  18. Veratyr Star

Veratyr Star Banned

Haha "the pot"

19. NextLineIsMine

NextLineIsMine Registered+

I like the word reefer, it deserves a come back.

Ive never been a big fan of the words dank and dro
    • Like Like x 1
  20. timothylearyisdead

timothylearyisdead Registered+

HAHAHA I use the word reefer all the time. And dope, I love saying dope, I guess I picked it up from Trailer Park Boys.