why do my leaves keep clawing spotting and dying????

Discussion in 'Cannabis Pictures' started by cannakidd, Apr 3, 2016.

1. cannakidd

cannakidd Registered+

2. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

you didnt need to start a new thread... but I will venture a guess that it looks a lot like a magnesium deficiency. What makes you think nitrogen toxicity; have you been throwing a lot of nitrogen at her?

this problem is probably related to your pH, since you have no idea where it is exactly. magnesium doesnt begin to uptake until 6.5... if you are adjusting to 6.3 and not getting a lot of drift, that could be the cause. Also, RO water can cause deficiencies since it is stripped of all minerals, and usually it is recommended to supplement with calmag if this is the case.

adjust your pH exactly to 6.5 for all incoming fluids and see if that doesnt stop this from progressing. The damage you see now will not repair itself, but watch carefully for progression of this yellowing up the trunk.

Another thing you can do for a quick burst of magnesium is to do a foliar spray with a weak epsom salt solution. You should see an almost immediate greening if this is the correct diagnosis, but mind that this will simply be a band-aid. To solve your deficiency you need to either adjust the pH problem that is not allowing available magnesium to uptake, or add more if you are light.

3. cannakidd

cannakidd Registered+

thank you so much, sorry I created another thread, I'm just worried about my babies haha. Could it also be a lock out? I haven't flushed the soil at all. I've just been regularly watering about once a day. Also I just noticed on the other thread you wanted to see a picture of the leaves dying on the plant, I ended up cutting off all the really bad ones, but I found one that's starting to show signs of dying, I accidentally grabbed one of the brown spots trying to get a picture and it basically crumbled away

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. emilya

a lockout is exactly what I am saying it is...

lockouts can be from many causes, too many nutes, pH, salt buildup, overwatering, being root bound...

But, I am giving you an educated guess based on your leaf damage and your description of your methods, that your particular lockout is of magnesium, and that it is caused by improper pH adjustment.

5. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Watering every day certainly won't help either. Read the How To Properly Water a Potted Plant link in Emmie's signature. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. emilya

You might want to rethink this practice...
    When a plant is suffering from a deficiency it first goes to its storehouses to move elements that are needed for the new growth, if it can... some of the 17 or so elements that are needed to grow these plants are not mobile, which means the plant can not move them around when needed. Non mobile deficiencies always show up in the new growth as leaf damage, but when mobile elements are lacking, the plants start with the very lowest and oldest leaves and cannibalize them to get what is needed for the new growth.
    Magnesium is an odd element when it comes to being mobile or not mobile. The plant first reacts to a deficiency by grabbing what it needs from the lowest 2 nodes, but when it is clear to the plant that this is not cutting it, she starts to take leaves from the middle of the plant too. A magnesium deficiency left unchecked will quickly move up the plant, and in the worst cases will start to affect even the sun and bud leaves... you dont want to get to that point.
    So, when a leaf has been tagged by the plant for cannibalization, it starts withering and drying up. The plant is not done with this process until that leaf is completely dry and brittle. If you remove the damaged leaf, the plant has no choice but to pick yet another leaf for demolition... and by removing leaves prematurely you are hastening the demise of your plant. Also, if you allow the damaged leaves to remain, they will become your canaries in the coal mine to tell you when you have solved the problem. I am always thrilled when I can halt the progression of a deficiency, and as evidence have leaves with 2 or 3 fingers damaged, but what remains becoming strong again.... and the leaf does not fall off. Damaged and discolored leaves offend no one but you... use them as tools to communicate with your plant, and always try to resist the urge to remove them just for the sake of aesthetics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. buckiemc.boing

buckiemc.boing Registered+

But what if your plant is thirsty dirty? Mine likes to drink between 1-2L per day. If not the soil ends up hella dry.

8. emilya

just at the top... at the bottom, where the roots could be drowning, you are keeping it wet. Read my watering thing, it will explain what we are saying.

9. buckiemc.boing

I read your watering guide and really enjoyed it!
    After my ph problem I started talking my time watering. My screen not fixed, so I can lift my pot to check.
    one thing that I have noticed is I water at the same time 8:10am.
    Always nice to start the day in the garden

• Like Like x 1
  10. cannakidd

cannakidd Registered+

so what would be the chest pH range for magnesium intake? and should I flush my soil?

11. emilya

how long have you been in that soil and applying nutes to it? I doubt your problem is that you need a flush... I could have sworn that I just told you up above what I thought the problem was, and the fix. Adjust your pH to 6.5 and see what that does. Only make this one change so you can see if it is the fix... if you start doing 5 other things to try to solve your problem, you will never know what did it.

12. buckiemc.boing

I put a ph chart on my page sorry wouldn't let me post here.

13. emilya

you put up a ph chart for hydro... not applicable here.

14. Mike Donelly

Mike Donelly Registered+

check if you are really using good sources of nutrients or not

15. Weedywonka

Weedywonka Registered