Why you might NOT want to volunteer for a political campaign

Discussion in 'CANNABIS.COM Lounge' started by Pupp, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I did some volunteering this season for the democrats. I liked doing it, but its like EVERY FUCKING DAY, I get 1 to 3 emails asking for donations. I mean, WTF, can't they figure out they shouldn't be trying to scrap money from someone that's putting in 4 or 5 hours a week for free.

2. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Registered+

The last time I voluntee...
    Hahaha, just kidding!

Make the gas-bags work, for a change. :D

Careful stuffin' those envelopes! :eek:

3. Mass Medicinals

Mass Medicinals Registered+

What kills us are the tv ads this time of the year, and the phone calls that make it through the do-not-call lists.

4. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I volunteered from mid August to early October. After that, I was both busy anyway on the farm. -Every weekend was book the last 3 weeks in October, and I was mega burned out on politics.

-We lease the fields to a farmer, and hold events on the property. Live action role playing, large family reunions, rarely a wedding, and stuff like that. But by early October, I was beyond burned out. I was going out canvasing, but I swear, it would have been 100x more productive just standing on a street corner waving a campaign sign. At least the motorists would be a feeling that the campaign had some energy. Going door to door, I averaged only 2 to 3 people that would actually talk in a 2 hour time period. Most houses have a peephole, so I presume a lot of people just looked out and wasn't going to waste time talking to some random guy wearing a sticker for the democratic campaign. Oh, and I won't talk about angry white guys that open the door, give you 5 to 10 seconds of choice words before slamming it shut.

Maybe 1 out of 5 doors will get a human being to answer, and most of the time, they just politely tell you to go away.

It's pretty time consuming, since I drove 30 minutes to the campaign office, then drive at about 10 to 15 minutes to the destination or more, then canvass for 2 mostly fruitless hours, then drive back to the campaign office, then another 30 minutes back to my house. So ya, all that to maybe get 2 or 3 people to fill out a questionnaire. I usually get maybe 1 to 3 more people that would talk just long enough to say that they vote and if they're undecided, Democrat, or Republican, before politely telling you they really don't want to stand and answer more questions. The problem with that is the campaign usually already knows that basic information. The goal isn't to interview random people at houses, but specific person or persons at the address. People they already know some basic information gleaned from public records.

5. Gone Camping

Gone Camping Registered+

As an angry White Guy.. I don't invite people to knock on my door to tell me how i'm wrong in my opinion.

I do my talking in the booth.. and prefer to keep my views private.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

The only people who dare trespass and walk up to my house are the Mormons.
    Haven’t had them do that in about five years since the last time they did, I answered the door in my boxers with an AR 15. I live way out in the middle of nowhere in a small farming community. The 1800s town down the road has one gas station/general store and it closed in the 1970s. None of our roads are paved. Just gravel roads. Our ranches average about 5-200 acres and we have plenty of room between our actual houses so that we don’t really have any noise issues. Everyone on my side of the road for about 2 miles has their own rifle range. Coming into our community and doing something threatening would be suicide.

7. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

When I lived in Nashville, occasionally Mormons or Jehovah Witnesses would canvas the apartment complex.