Windows 10???

Discussion in 'Tech Related / Computers' started by Skihigh, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

How many of you have got Windows 10?.....Is it REALLY free and if so what's the catch?..I just got a new machine with Windows 7 on it and I keep getting prompted to upgrade to 10 for free?????I have found in life that anything worth anything usually ain't free..Has anybody here got the download?...If so what are the advantages and or drawbacks?????Thanks....J

2. GaGrown

GaGrown Registered+

Don't do it! It's free for a reason... Reason being to track you..Just ignore the pop up.. I get it all the time.. I'm sticking with 7..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. emilya

emilya Future Dispensary Owner

I have Win10 on all of my computers now, and I love it. The spying stuff is not hard to turn off at all, and right now my network is silent to the outside world unless I have something to send out. I have better control over my system than ever before with windows 10.

Windows 10 is a major advancement in the way devices can be integrated together. The plan is to have every device... your car, phone, house, etc, all be able to synchronize with each other in a seamless way, and products are being designed right now to allow you to have automation and integration of your entire electronic and physical world in ways that are only being dreamed of right now. I imagine a home mainframe soon that becomes my entertainment, news and communication central command, and where voice commands will allow me to interact with the world, and my local environment. Imagine the jetsons and their viewscreen... Imagine the Ma and Pa Kettle automated house... its coming, and the start of this is the work microsoft is doing to integrate all of these platforms under one very powerful OS.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

I have windows 10. You do have to turn off a bunch of stuff that tracks you though. Some of the stuff that tracks you is disturbing, but most of the tracking is used to push content, like news feeds based on prior viewing, similar to how cookies are used to push adverts on web pages.

You can turn off all that crap though.

If your into surfing or downloading anything you REALLY don't want anybody to know about, run Linux using a virtual machine inside Windows.

5. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

Other than turning off the tracking stuff, Windows 10 is quite enjoyable. With my last computer, I installed Windows 8 over Windows 7, and hated it so much, I backed up my data and formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows 7. Even though Windows 10 has a lot of stuff from Windows 8, Microsoft managed to give the axe to the stuff on Windows 8 that everybody hated.
    -The biggest problem with Windows 8 was that Microsoft thought everybody was going to run out and get a touch screen monitor, and it was designed with that in mind. On desktops, most people don't really want to lean forward to use a touch screen monitor. The other major change was instead of forcing everybody to use their entire screen as a beefed up start menu, they decided to shrink it to a quarter screen pop up menu that people can customize. So the main desktop looks and feels like Windows 7 with a nicer start menu.

And I agree with Emilya: Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
    That is, eventually, over the years, people will have to get Windows 10, since Windows 7 will eventually not be an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. raymont

raymont Registered+

I'll stay with 7 till forced.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Pupp

Pupp Registered+

Microsoft stopped selling Windows 7 licenses after Jan. 31, 2015. There are still new licenses out in the wild, but eventually those will dry up. OEM builders usually buy a lot of them, so places like Cyberpowerpc.com are still selling new builds with Windows 7... till they run out of them anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. raymont

raymont Registered+

Licensing isnt a big deal. With a KTM re setter you can install trouble free. Its the lack of security, updates when its no longer supported

9. Mark Gordan Smith

Mark Gordan Smith Registered+

Goodness me.....I'm surprised at you all.
    I have eleven desktops and one laptop, it must be 10yrs since we scrapped all the Win OS.

Linux my friends....And you will never regret it.

Seriously, It's the first time I have ever read an Emmie post and not liked it.
    Em, if you have one spare machine, please load Ubuntu or Mint. From a disc it will cost a few $, from a download free or a donation.
    Just blast the Gates OS away...away.......away, begone thou foul impediment!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

Thanks a bunch for the replies my friends.....Is there any way back to 7 if I did go ahead and "upgrade" ?

11. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

I went ahead and upgraded to Win10..Kept it a couple of days...Ireally think it sucks..Fortunately, it's easy to go back to Win7 by doing the system restore thing...

12. DirtyBlueGene

DirtyBlueGene Registered+

Microsoft upgraded me from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 on Friday. I booted my puter and found a pop-up saying Win 10 would begin installation in 3:22, so I just closed the popup. I was about to login here when my computer closed my browser and began to shut down to update mode, warning me to not shut off my computer. I tried to turn off by holding down the power button but that didn't work and the installation began. I disabled a lot of crap when the opportunity came up though. I didn't ask for the upgrade, it just happened. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. emilya

Windows 10 works fine for me, on all of my computers and laptops. I have never had such seamless communications between the computers in my network and between platforms before. Sure, Win10 still has some things to work out, but right out of the gate, total compatibility with every driver and device, and flawless hands free installation... as someone with an undergrad degree in computer science, color me impressed. The only criticism I have is how MS is handling their Office package, making Outlook necessary to provide some of the interchange capabilities between your email and calendar, making even the Windows Live products unable to interact with Cortana and the rest of the system. I never chose to purchase Outlook, always being happy with other email products, and now I find that Win10 pretty much requires it and refuses to yet play with 3rd party applications. This annoying $69 Outlook subscription for me has become the "price" for upgrading to Win10, at least on my main computer.

14. raymont

raymont Registered+

They say you can uninstall if done in the first 30 days. Mine keeps trying to do it to also. I was able to shutdown in time.

15. emilya

you all who do not upgrade are going to find yourselves with dead operating systems in a couple of years, and wishing you had take the free upgrade. You can take the plunge now and deal with a few little annoyances while they work out the bugs, or you can spend big bucks later, still ending up having to deal with windows 10 or 11 or whatever they are up to by then. Today it is free... take them up on it. If you are already in bed with Microsoft now, it seems that you have two choices, either keep up or you might as well go to Linux or Apple. WinXP is already a relic... Win7 will be soon too and in a few short years you won't be able to find apps that run on it. The computer game has always been a game of keeping up with the latest and greatest... as soon as you get off of that train, your system becomes out of date and eventually incompatible with the rest of the world. You have been advised... what do they say? You can lead a horse to water...

16. Skihigh

Skihigh Registered+

OH! !!! SHIT!!!!! Computers telling us what we need....or want....or......?????

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mark Gordan Smith

Well, nobody is going to tell me what I can grow or smoke, no op-sys is gonna order me about.
    I'm providing a computer for my 82 yr old mother and she knows not one thing about them.
    Am I so weird because I'm not letting her even see a Gates product? She'll learn on Ubuntu and Mint.
    If she appears unhappy then I'll show her Windows.....but guess who raised me never to automatically go with the crowd!

18. Mark Gordan Smith

Good heavens!
    I am quite a bit surprised that a...shall we say rebel kind of girl like you would prefer Windows.

19. emilya

Sorry Mark, and I even have an undergrad degree in Computer Science... go figure. In today's world, I demand that all of my devices have seamless integration and synchronization with everything else. I also treat these devices as tools in my life, and I no longer wish to know how they work or take a networking course in how to connect them all together. I simply buy the tools that I need, and I expect them to work out of the box... and link right in with my VPN, data, calendars, documents and my contact list... without having to spend a day setting each one up. For the first time, Google and Microsoft have made this happen for me. There are certain applications where a big hulking OS is not necessary, and I agree, in those cases it makes sense to go with linux, in whatever flavor you like it in. For real world ease of use, connectivity and automatic synchronization, outside of the network server world, windows 10 is an astounding product... and my choice across all of the platforms it is being installed on.