Would this be enough for a 5 x 5 grow tent?

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by Mariano Gomes, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mariano Gomes

Mariano Gomes Registered

Amazon
    Morsen MAX12 Super Bright led grow Light 3600W with On Off Dimmer Switch

Aliexpress
    1PCS Max COB Full Spectrum 3600W Led Grow Light AC85-265V Indoor Flower Veg Hydroponics System Plant LED Lamps Superior Yield#40

2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Sounds like serious overkill for that sized tent.
    300 watts will be plenty.
    There is a limit to how much light, (and heat), cannabis can take.
    More than enough, is too much.
    I grow 4 plants for each 50 Watt light.
    That 50 watts is all targeted spectrum leds of course.
    With white leds I'd need at least 100 Watts to match their growth speed.
    Ya owe me 2 cents. :)

Aloha,
    Wee 'zard

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mariano Gomes

Mariano Gomes Registered

The true watt value is only 500w though.... Since LED manufacturers exaggerate stuff....

4. GreenAuto

GreenAuto Registered+

What led ligths you are using?

5. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Thought you'd never ask. :)
    Built the 150W array in 2009 when I was flowering indoors.
    It sits unused now that I flower outdoors.

wired.JPG under one roof.JPG Stacked.JPG

This is Woof. Nominally 75 Watts But I drive it lightly for efficiency and long life.
    Actual draw is 55 Watts

fanfry.JPG woof.JPG

Also built, and still use 2. 50 Watt "bricks" using 3., and 5 Watt chips.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

They live together in a cabinet and have saved me a large fortune in power bills.
    We pay north of $.40 per Kwh. here.
    This is my latest build. Uses a single, 100 W. chip that I drive at 60 W.
    60Watt limited.JPG
    They run cool, quiet, and still outgrow any other source watt for watt.
    If I had more money than talent, I'd just buy Lumigrow or Magical Growth commercial units.

Aloha,
    Weeze

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mariano Gomes

Mariano Gomes Registered

I wish I could do outdoors and save on electricity.

8. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Have you looked into skylights?
    There is one called solar tube that looks interesting.

9. GreenAuto

GreenAuto Registered+

Good job Weezard :doublethumbs::doublethumbs: but Im poor for DIY LED..:(:( just need led light plug and play

10. Deville-M

Deville-M Registered+

There is difference of draw power and max power, leds manufacturers show the max power on their website, but we only use led draw power. My Mars ProII 320 draw power is 740W, on their website, they show 1600W mars proII320 led. But when I bought it, they are very honest to tell me the draw power.

11. TomSawyer2112

TomSawyer2112 Registered+

As far as power goes. I’m using a 1350 UPS For power backup and both the maxbloom and the platinum ran for at least 70 minutes the other night when our power went out. Under normal conditions, the load indicator on the UPS shows about a 20% load on the Back up power source. This includes the vent fan which runs about 5-7 Watts. All I can say is the LED uses less power. I can’t even see a difference on my electric usage summary in KW.

12. Deville-M

Deville-M Registered+

I am looking at Unitfarm led grow bar, the supplier told me 3pcs of grow bar is 600W and it can replace 1000W HPS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Deville-M

Deville-M Registered+

turn on light.jpg This is UnitFarm grow bar picture I found on their website, draw power is 200W/PCS

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gone Camping

Gone Camping Registered+

I considered a DIY build such as Weezard did, but at the end of the day I realized i'm too busy to educate myself or build something with my very limited electrical knowledge. If I cant fix it with a wrench..

So I bit the bullet and bought. I found some great reviews on these, and entered a giveaway.. I won a light. Soon after I purchased 4 more. I'm currently shut down but will have them up and running soon.

https://cobshop.net/shop?olsPage=products

15. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

3600 watt for a 5 x 5 tent ??? That's a lot of light !!! I use 3 - 600 watt LED's in a 4' x 8' x 7' tent. As seedlings & in most of the veg cycle I could only use 2 of the lights as it was too much light with all 3 & I was getting light bleaching. The last 2 weeks of veg & now during flower I use all 3 - 600 watt LED's + 6 - 28 watt LED Spotlights for side lighting. My plants are about 4' - 5' tall & budding up nicely at the moment. In a 5 x 5 tent I would only use 1 - 600 watt LED with 4 - spotlights for side lighting.
    As far as all the brand names for LED's & how some are suppose to be better than others … I haven't quite figured out yet. So far my cheapo LED's seem to be doing just fine. I guess I'll know for sure if the cheapo's do the trick in 6 weeks at harvest. So far … I can not complain as these plants are big & full of white hairs everywhere.
    That being said, I'm not convinced that paying more for a name brand LED is better than buying a cheap one. I just looked at the nm color spectrum of the expensive lights & found cheap ones that claim the same spectrum & bought them. I think I paid a total of $200 for all 3 - 600 watt lights.
    The other thing I'd look for is : If one bulb fails the others all stay lit. A lot of the LED's … if one bulb fails a bunch of the other lights don't work either.
    I'm no expert on LED's …. That's Weezard for sure / hands down. If it weren't for him I wouldn't know shit !!!
    Maybe he will shine some light on the differences between cheap & expensive LED's. I'd sure like to know why they are suppose to be better.

16. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Mahalo!
    Here's what a little flattery can get ya. :)

In a word? Quality.

I could buy a 100W., off-brand, chip with an aluminum substrate and a high photons per Watt ratio.
    I could then try to drive it close to maximum output with an inadequate power supply that has no over-current or voltage spike protection and no U.L. label.
    I could use the minimum amount of heat sinking and try to make that good with a couple cheap fans.

But that's not gonna happen around here. :)

The chip? Top quality, copper substrate for heat transfer, and efficient conversion.
    I then overkill the heat sink to the point where it will survive a fan failure.
    My power supply can produce about 50% more power than it is actually using, so it runs cool and I drive that 100W. chip to ~70 Watts.
    Not just for long life, or cool running, but for efficacy.
    My 12 year old lights are still running at close to the original output due to conservative design.
    "The proof is in the budding". :)

LEDs are much more efficient at lower temperatures.
    If I actually wanted 100 Watts, I'd use 2, 70W. chips, and drive them to 50 Watts ea.
    That all said, price is not a reliable indicator.
    It's easy to buy marketing hype and overpay for a unit that can start a house fire.
    And it's easy to talk yourself into overkill on the lights and the amount of power needed.
    For a 2' x 4' chamber, I use 150 Watts total, for vegging up to 4' tall.
    Get the spectrum right and that's all you need.
    Overkill the blue and use a dimmer to "tune" the light for maximum absorption and you can save a few dollars on power cost.

Aloha, grow on,
    Weeze

17. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

You sure don't use much wattage. Makes me feel like I'm over killing it big time. I tell myself everything is growing nicely. But I guess I should be wondering if I could accomplish the same thing using less. From what I've read 2 -600 watt MH / HPS lights are correct for a 4' x 8' x 7' tent so I probably only need 2 of my 600 watt LED's & not 3. But the center of the tent seems too dark to me with only 2 lights so I use 3. 1 light for every 4 plants is kind of how I've been figuring things.
    Hey, Thanks for showing me the cutting thing to determine sex. Those cuttings are now a foot tall & have some nice buds forming. About 4 weeks till I get to sample it.

18. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

:cool:Grow on brother.
    You are doing fine.

19. Deville-M

Deville-M Registered+

I think 1200W led will work in tent 4x8, I used Mars Reflector 192 in tent 4x4, about 390W draw power, the bud is not bad

20. raymont

raymont Registered+

Looking into quantum boards......