Would this be enough for a 5 x 5 grow tent?

Discussion in 'Indoor Lighting' started by Mariano Gomes, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Buds Buddy

Buds Buddy Registered+

Well Weezard, you are right once again ! The difference in quality LED's from cheap ones surely makes a difference. 2 of the 4 - 600 watt LED's I had burnt up right after I asked you about the differences. Took them apart & both have the same problem. The 4 wires that connect to the power switch completely melted the back side of the switches. Couldn't believe the wiring they used. So thin it looked like it came from an old time transistor radio. I'll buy a good light after I move. Taking everything down now anyway & packing it up since it's not being used. Probably down till around April or May since it takes a while to get situated after a move.
    Anyways, the moral of my story is …. "Don't buy cheap lights …. you might burn your house down."

2. Weezard

Weezard Registered+

Amen!

I started as an electrician in the '60s, then went into electronics, then computers then "gardening". :)

Tried to buy cheap lights at one point.
    Took them apart, to see which corners got cut.
    Yipes!!
    It's not just about quality, these are a fire hazard.
    chipnlpwr.JPG Not UL.JPG
    No over-current protection, no short circuit shutdown, not even a fuse!

Threw them out!

It's not just the obvious imports either.
    Most American dealers are selling Chinese innards that bear no UL label and their only standard appears to be build it cheaper.
    This is exactly why I DIY.

The only commercial light I own is the "Magical Growth".
    It was a gift from their CEO. Says our threads were his source of information and he wanted to "give back". :)
    Because the light is so well built, it is not inexpensive.
    Way out of my budget so I'm very grateful for a gift from the blue.

Just starting my first side by side grow test it against my arrays.
    I'll keep y'all posted.

Aloha,
    Weeze