Short notice from CDC
I'll be at the Kitsap court tomorrow
1. Court tomorrow: Doug Hiatt needs immediate help in Olympia
William Kurtz is a wheelchair-bound patient suffering from hereditary spastic paraplegia who was raided by the Thurston County Narcotics Task Force (TNT) earlier this year with up to 42 small cannabis plants and no usable cannabis. Doug Hiatt is representing him, and in a pre-trial hearing today, the court disallowed the defense from even mentioning our medical cannabis law at trial. The defendant did not have a medical cannabis authorization at the time of the raid, but now has authorizations signed by two Washington State doctors. Just as the Fry decision from earlier this year denies the affirmative defense to patients that do not have a qualifying condition, that same case allows it for those that do have a qualifying conditions at the time of arrest.
* What: Thurston County v. William Kurtz
* When: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 8:45 a.m.
* Where: Thurston County Courthouse Room #230, 2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW #2 in Olympia
* Map: 2000 Lakeridge Dr SW 98502 - Google Maps
* Details: This is trial, jury selection begins in the morning!
2. Court tomorrow: Kitsap prosecutes Cloud 9 Caregivers
Kitsap County is prosecuting a case against Jeff Raub from Cloud 9 Caregivers. The WestNET drug task force -- which is responsible for raid after raid on medical cannabis patients -- used a confidential informant to acquire cannabis from an individual that had acquired it from Cloud 9 as a designated provider to an authorized patient. The Kitsap County prosecutor is threatening Mr. Raub with a 6-8 year prison sentence if he fights the charges.
Jeff has been contacting everyone he can think of looking for support, and has received very little so far. Please consider attending Jeff's omnibus court hearing tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. at the Kitsap County Courthouse in Port Orchard. We've beat them in that court house before -- something they're not used to in "Kidnap County" -- and it behooves us to hold that ground. We must discourage Kitsap prosecutors from railroading authorized medical cannabis patients in *all* cases, not just the ones we can effectively publicize.
* What: Kitsap County v. Jeff Raub
* When: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.
* Where: Kitsap County Courthouse, 614 Division St in Port Orchard
* Map: 614 Division St 98366 - Google Maps